Which 645 do you suggest

I actually thought that the Bronica SQ-AM (built-in motor and handgrip!) and its ability to shoot 645 "talls" was a super-duper advantage of the Bronica SQ-series bodies, so...I bought one!!!! I don't know how much lighter a 645 Bronica like the ETRs series "is", versus an SQ body....it's probably a lot lighter than the massive SQ-AM and its bulky, heavy metering prism added, to get that nifty half-stop shutter control and to get eye-level focusing, viewing, and shooting. Yestersay, I ran ito this fellow, shooting a 50-megapixel Hassy and 50-110mm zoom lens. Talk about a monster outfit--it's about the same size as a Bronica SQ-AM with its built-on grip-and-motor!!

$_D3X2635_CROP.jpg

Lose the motor, lose the camera. The main reason SQ-AM bodies are cheap.

I actually thought that the Bronica SQ-AM (built-in motor and handgrip!) and its ability to shoot 645 "talls" was a super-duper advantage of the Bronica SQ-series bodies, so...I bought one!!!! I don't know how much lighter a 645 Bronica like the ETRs series "is", versus an SQ body....it's probably a lot lighter than the massive SQ-AM and its bulky, heavy metering prism added, to get that nifty half-stop shutter control and to get eye-level focusing, viewing, and shooting. Yestersay, I ran ito this fellow, shooting a 50-megapixel Hassy and 50-110mm zoom lens. Talk about a monster outfit--it's about the same size as a Bronica SQ-AM with its built-on grip-and-motor!!

View attachment 40087
That 50-110 sucks donkey balls, the only reason anyone uses it is to look like they've got a big camera. Guy's a complete tool if he's just walking around waterfront park with that.

View attachment 40087
That 50-110 sucks donkey balls, the only reason anyone uses it is to look like they've got a big camera. Guy's a complete tool if he's just walking around waterfront park with that.

So like you shoot with one regularly when it's not attached to the burro?

View attachment 40087

So like you shoot with one regularly when it's not attached to the burro?
More than a few times.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but the best 645 I've shot was a 500c/m (or EL..) with an A12 back. That eliminates the whole vert/horizontal angst.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but the best 645 I've shot was a 500c/m (or EL..) with an A12 back. That eliminates the whole vert/horizontal angst.

645 Refers to the format, 6x4.5 cm, the 500cm is a 6x6cm camera....

Somehow the irony gets lost when typing...

I've been shooting for the better part of 4 decades, having used every major brand of 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 camera over that time.

My outfit now consists of a Hassy outfit and an RB. While there's nothing inherently "wrong" with 645, many times I find myself thinking "that would look better as a horizontal (or vertical)". The nice thing about 6x6 is that the horizontal/vertical composition can be decided when looking at a contact sheet (or trannies on a light table, at least for a little while longer....).

If I had to shoot 6x4.5, it would be a Contax, thankfully I don't have to make that choice.

erie

Somehow the irony gets lost when typing...

HAHA - I get it now.

I shoot more 6x6 than anything else, but I do like 6x7 too. That's pretty much the extent of my medium format experience...

I would suggest the Mamiya 645, love the sound of the shutter.
Me, too! And I've enjoyed the 'hard to break' feel of the whole system.

I used to shoot 4X5 and an RB67. Since I retired, I can't afford to pay the boy to carry these around for me, so I moved to a Mamiya 645 Pro TL and a Voigtlander in medium format. The 645 has a variety of lenses and I'm pretty happy with the "small" film size - even tho I miss the larger 4X5 sometimes.

I picked up a Mamiya Pro TL "kit" from a Japanese dealer last year. Since, I've added most of the lenses, from wide, to telephoto. It's a superb system, and supplements my 35mm and large format nicely. The prices for the Mamiyas, especially the Supers and Pros are great.

The Hasselblad 500CM was a consideration, but the prices are still on the steep side. They do offer flexibility when you can get a 645 back for them.

I also use a Mamiya C330s for 6x6. The TLR's are really good deals, since they're far less popular than any of the medium format SLR's.

Most reactions

Back