which 70-200 for night skiing photography

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jvgig, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jvgig

jvgig TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As the title says, which 70-200mm canon compatible lens will be best for night skiing photography? I will be shooting at 6fps and panning to follow the skiers. I will not be using any flashes or extra lighting.

The slopes are fairly well lit for a ski slope, but I will still need a fast shutter. I really do not want to spend much over $1000, so unless I find some incredible deal, the 2.8 IS is out. I am not too concerned about the size difference between the 2.8 and 4 as long as the extra size can be justified with the extra stop. Would I benefit more from the IS or from the extra stop? I could easily stick it on a monopod without much inconvenience and I very well may to make panning easier. I am not committed to Canon but will need a good reason to consider something else. I will be using a canon 40d.

Thanks

2. Bryant

Bryant TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd definitely recommend the 2.8, you will definitely need the extra stop even though it's a well lit slope. The way it looks to you without the camera is not what it will look like on the camera. I would definitely suggest a flash if you're not willing to pay up for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, as you can freeze the motion, although you wouldn't be able to max out your 40d. DEFINITELY get a monopod, tripod if necessary, as you won't be able to pan great.

3. Bryant

Bryant TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And by the way, you won't be able to reach your 6fps because of the lighting already, i'm guessing you'd only be able to go at 1/200, probably even slower, not allowing for the necessary time for your camera.

4. jvgig

jvgig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally will not be using the camera most of the time as I want shots of my own skiing, much of which will be either on public slopes or a race course. In the first case, I would not want to distract others with the flash and in the second, I do not want flashes going off as I am navigating gates. With that in mind, I may be forced to go with the 2.8 as you say. If I put the camera on a monopod, would I even benefit from IS?

5. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You may want to consider the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It is under a grand new.

I don't have direct experience with it, but it supposed to be a pretty good lense.

Others on here who have it should pipe in.

Cheers

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless your shutter speed drops below 1/6 (or so) you will still be able to shoot at 6fps. At 1/200, there is plenty of time to shoot at 6 fps.

The 'best' 70-200 lens is the 2.8 L IS...but that's out of the budget. For something like this, you could probably skip the IS, and get the 2.8 (non IS)...which is currently $1045 at B&H.

As mentioned, you might also consider the Sigma and I believe that Tamron also has a new 70-200mm F2.8 lens. I'm not sure how fast the AF is on those lenses...that would be something to look into. The Canon models have decently fast AF response, especially on a camera with good AF.

7. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Sigma is very good and the AF is nice and quick. Haven't had any issues with hunting in low-light.

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately, the Sigma stigma of a few "bad ones" leaving the factory is following around the new 70-200 F/2.8 lens.

A guy from the Flickr D700 forum ordered one, and sent it back, and ordered a Nikkor, but there is another user there that is getting some REALLY nice results with his Sigma even at F/2.8. They were extreme softness issues at F/2.8 (I mean some TERRIBLE soft pics at that aperture!), and by F/4 things were drastically better.

Before you buy anywhere, ask about possible return policies and just be aware that this is a possibility... I do not know how remote or anything, just that it is possible. :)

9. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You mean this one Jerry? Sigma can put out some good stuff.

[​IMG]

Wide open, 200mm, handheld.