Which 70-300mm Nikon lens should I buy

JayF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a Nikon D7500 and a AF-P DX 18-55 VR lens. Very happy with the equipment, able to take crystal pictures with that basic lens.

Looking at two Nikon 70-300mm lenses for zooming ability, mainly to pull in landscapes or wildlife from a distance. The two choices are either the AF-P DX 70-300m f/4.5-6.3G VR or the
AF-S FX 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR.

Picture quality is most important to me, looking for Crystal Clear Crisp Pictures when blown up.

So, which lens should I buy?

Thanks in advance,
Jay Ford

Critical question would be if you plan on staying with DX or jumping into the FX arena soon.

Critical question would be if you plan on staying with DX or jumping into the FX arena soon.
At this point planning to stay with the DX Camera format. Most important to me is Picture quality, wanting the best crystal clear pictures possible, regardless if the lens if DX or FX. Thanks

In my opinion the Tamron 70-300mm USD vc is as good as Nikons afs 70-300 at a definite less price. I can't comment on the new af p model

Given your drive for image quality, I'd say the FX lens would be the better choice. Shooting DX you'll end up using the best part (the center) of the optics.

Given your drive for image quality, I'd say the FX lens would be the better choice. Shooting DX you'll end up using the best part (the center) of the optics.

I agree with this. And the fact that if you do move to FX in the future, you will not have to replace it, or use the FX in crop mode.

Also noticed the FX lens is 1/3 stop faster at the long end. f/5.6 vs. f/6.3 on the DX.

Last edited:
I own the 70-300 VR-G model, which is full-frame-capable, but is well over 10 years old in design; these are widely available used for $250-$295...and the lens is "okay", but has a few issues with focuys speed on near/far transitions of great dimension, and only good long-end performance.

Thom Hogan's Nikon D3400 review specifically addreses the NEW AF-P 70-300 VR lens; the performance is ***markedly better*** on the newer, lower-cost AF-P VR 70-300mm lens. Performance on the D3400, a low-end body, is exemplary.

Check out Thom Hogan + Nikon D3400 review, and then read also his 70-300 VR AF-P lens review here.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

AN excerpt: "
How’s it Perform?

The big surprise is that the new AF-P focus motor is very snappy and nearly silent. Given the low price of this lens and the performance of the older 55-200mm and 55-300mm DX zooms, I was expecting the 70-300mm to be in the same range. Not even close. The new lens is clearly faster than the older DX telephoto zooms in bright light, even with the low end D3400 I was mostly testing it on.

This was especially true of cross point focus sensors: snappy, sometimes faster than you can notice any change to the focus. In good light and with a cross focus sensor, this lens performs right up there with many of the big, expensive lenses, for sure, even on the least expensive Nikon DSLR body.
"

See that lasat sentence? This seems to stem from the AF-P focusing protocol, not the older AF-S protocol, which in the 70-300 AF-S VR-G, was not always all that great at focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back