Which 85mm for Nikon?

Derrel stated the 1.4 D. One point FOUR D. Not he 1.8D

The 1.8 af-d does not compare at all
THe 1.4 af-d is pretty expensive though but well worth it
I am aware of that. I posted three times before Derrel posted. Jazzie asked for opinions, and I offered mine.

For the record; I advised the 1.8 G not the 1.8 AF-D.

The AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8 G is, and has been, highly recommended by many people as being an excellent lens for the money. I'll grant that the 1.4 may have better bokeh, and if you can afford it, then go for it, by all means! But the 1.8 G still has its supporters.

Nikon 85mm 1.8G vs 1.4D - Contrast, Sharpness, Bokeh Side by Side Tests: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

85mm 1.4D vs. 85mm 1.8G? | Nikon 85mm Users Group | Flickr

85mm Decision Time - 1.8g or 1.4d

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=96495.0

85mm 1.8G v 85mm 1.4D (AF Speed & sharpness)

Nikon 85mm Comparison

Nikon 85mm 1.8G vs 1.8D vs 1.4D – small experiment

Which Nikon 85mm Lens Is Best For Your Portrait Photography Needs? | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

http://glamourphotography.co/gear-r...ads-up-review-comparison-of-images-and-bokeh/

https://dgrin.com/discussion/226125/85mm-focal-length-debate-1-8g-or-1-4d

Oddly, the 1.8 G gets some pretty good recommendations. And at roughly 1/3 the price of the 1.4 G, I think it is a good choice. I stand by my recommendation.

For what it’s worth, most reviews have shown the differences in results for the Nikon 1.4G and 1.8G to be pretty negligible if you don’t need the extra 2/3 stop of aperture. I have the 1.8 and it is one of my favorite lenses, both in terms of sharpness as well as creamy bokeh with just a little background separation. A word of warning though - autofocus is not particularly fast when tracking motion, so it is best suited to still subjects, posed or otherwise. You’ll probably figure this out pretty quickly chasing a toddler...

Last edited:
In tests of the G-series Nikkors, I see VERY little in favor of the f/1.4-G over the less-expensive f/1.8 AF-S G stablemate. In one test of five 85mm lenses, the low-cost f/1.8 AF-S G model was the overall total winner; it is BETTER in some test metrics that the 1.4 G model, by just a bit. Yes. Less-expensive, but as good, or better, on all test metrics in one exhaustive 85mm lens roundup test suite.Look for that on-line if you want to. it has a Sighma 84/1.4 in it, but I think the pre-ART version.

The 1.4 AF-D was nicknamed The Cream Machine, for its soft, creamy defocused backgrounds nature. But it also has a fair degree of light fall-off at the edges, as well as sharpness fall-off at the wide f/stops toward the edges and corners of the frame, and those two things make it a good portraiture lens for single people, couples, and pets,etc.. it's not the sharpest lens across the frame at wide f/stops; it is not the most-even in illumination across the frame; the 1.4 and 1.8 G-series lenses fill those niches.A f/5.6 the 1.4 AF-D is pretty solid; at f/7.1 and f/8, it is simply stellar as an electronic flash studio flash lens!

The 1.4 AF-D is part of a trio, the 85mm/1.4,105mm f/2 AF-D D.C.,and 135mm f/2 AF-D D.C. Nikkor lenses. These lenses render things "differently" than newer lenses. The emphasis is on pictorial rendering, and NOT on test-chart sharpness scores and the ability to delineate closely-spced lines on a paper target. The 1.4 AF-D is a "special lens"...in somewhat the same way that Canon's 135/2 L lens is "special".

The 1.8 G-series is a sharp,crisp,high-contrast lens that is amazing in performance, for $400 or so; the 1.4 G is more expensive, but is not much better, and is in fact, slightly less-good in some test metrics.

The older 85mm f/1.8 AF and AF-D lenses have a LOT of purple fringing issues on some subject matter, and are, well...clearly second-rate compared to the 1.4 AF-D, or the two G-series 85mm lenses. I had the 1.8 AF, and it was NOT a very good 85mm lens.

The 85/1.4 Ai-S was nice, but big for its era. I let that go in 1986...too BIG a lens for its era, back when the 85/2 Ai and 85/2 Ai-S were the size of a 50mm f/1.4 or 35mm/2 or 24.2.8 Nikkor, with 52mm threads and a small,short,compact lens barrel. The 85mm/2 Ai or Ai-S are okay; NOT good at f/2, pretty crummy really, better at 2.8, better at f/4. This winter I took the 85/2 Ai-S out during a snowy period and was shocked at how BAD it is at f/2....ugggh.

TO me, the 1.8 AF-S G, the f-one-point-eight model, seems like the best "value", but the prettiest people-pictue lens is still, the older, less-sharp,more-vignetty,more pleasing, creamier backdrop,, 1.4 AF-D lens. For landscapes, the 1.8 AF-S G is my choice and I am carrying it out today for some fall foliage shots in about 15 minutes.

My answer is the 1.8/85G which has seen at least 100.000 shots if not more.

As an addition for IQ without compromise I got the 1.4/105E too.

Of course the 105 is four times the amount of the 85 and much heavier, so the 85 is more bang for the buck & bulk. I had the 85D 1.8 & 1.4 and the G1.4 too. I did not use the 1.4s much, because they are heavy and it needs a decision to carry them. The 105E always justifies the extra weight. The 1.8G is better than the 1.8D, the 1.4G is better than the 1.4D if you do not need the aperture ring. You cannot go wrong with either.

The 85mm/1.8G is on the "best lenses ever" list of Mingh Thein and I had and loved it long before I noticed the list exists. Highly recommended.

Lens review: The Nikon AF-S 85/1.8 G

The ultimate lens list, at Nov 2016 (part I)

sell the 150mm 2.8, get the 105mm 1.4E.

I have both Nikon 85 f1.8G and 85 f1.4G . Both autofocus are horrible when it gets darker compare to my Nikon 24-70. Construction quality of the f1.4 is so much better than the f1.8 version so it should hold up in the field and abuses better. It's also over $1000 more than the 1.8 version. LOL I sold the 1.8 version because I didn't need two, and that I can always stop down if I need to.

Nope...gotta' keep that 150mm lens, for the focal length and the beautiful bokeh it gives, plus it is small,light, and nimble, whereas the 105-E is fat and heavy. The 150mm has some of the nicest bokeh around, AND it is significantly longer in focal length than the 105...both lenses have cult followings, but I can't agree on ditching a GREAT lens to get another great lens; once you OWN a great lens, you keep it, not sell it to get something else. ADD the 105/E is you think you can handle something that fat and heavy and bulky; the degree of OOF is pretty close between the two lenses though, due to the longer focal length and narrower angle of view the 150mm lens gives.

Back to the OP's question though: a massive, fat, heavy lens: at times, lenses like that are a net negative, especially when photographing 'regular people', and not model-y types, or loved ones who put up with our Photo Nut status. That's one place where the Sigma ART series lenses fall flat: they are LARGE lenses for their focal length and aperture values...really BIG lenses. At times, a massive lens impairs the photography process; many people freeze up when a massive lens is pointed in their direction, and when photographing those kinds of people, a small and unobtrusive lens is a significant benefit.

Iirc the 150 Sigma is a Macro lens.

It makes to sense to exchange a universal and macro with a specialized portrait lens.

I have both Nikon 85 f1.8G and 85 f1.4G . Both autofocus are horrible when it gets darker compare to my Nikon 24-70. Construction quality of the f1.4 is so much better than the f1.8 version so it should hold up in the field and abuses better. It's also over $1000 more than the 1.8 version. LOL I sold the 1.8 version because I didn't need two, and that I can always stop down if I need to.

Question: which cameras? AF performace of most lenses changed dramatically with the arrival of the D500/850/5 ... suddenly the 1.4/24 AF tracks and fast

Question: which cameras? AF performace of most lenses changed dramatically with the arrival of the D500/850/5 ... suddenly the 1.4/24 AF tracks and fast

Have you the d500 and d850, didn't realize that :)

Seriously though, you should not need the very newest best most expensive cameras in their class for a lens to do its job well. Not everyone can afford your kit

Iirc the 150 Sigma is a Macro lens.

Nope...gotta' keep that 150mm lens, for the focal length and the beautiful bokeh it gives, plus it is small,light, and nimble, whereas the 105-E is fat and heavy. The 150mm has some of the nicest bokeh around, AND it is significantly longer in focal length than the 105...both lenses have cult followings, but I can't agree on ditching a GREAT lens to get another great lens; once you OWN a great lens, you keep it, not sell it to get something else. ADD the 105/E is you think you can handle something that fat and heavy and bulky; the degree of OOF is pretty close between the two lenses though, due to the longer focal length and narrower angle of view the 150mm lens gives.

maybe what I should have said is: sell the 150mm to buy ME a 105E... It could be at least considered instead of an 85mm.

I think I was thinking of a different lens last night, and I missed that it was Macro.

But the Nikon is technically lighter is smaller :p :p

Last edited:
I always think it's a bad idea to sell a great lens in order to buy another great lens; that's not the way to approach lens buying over the long term. I consider Jazzie's 150mm macro a great portraiture lens--one of the top 10 lenses for people pictures, even though it does happen to be a macro lens, which is usually not a good thing. But the thing is, the 150mm lens is just long enough to give that telephoto compression look AND it has a nice bokeh character. it's shorter than a 180mm prime, which I am familiar with, and being shorter is a good thing, and longer than a 135mm, which is rare these days. A 105mm lens is a fine length for sure, and Nikon has made some fantastic 105mm's, with the new E model being one of the best lenses around, yet still, selling a great lens like the 150mm Sigma macro deprives you of...well...the ownership and use of a great lens! Just keep it, save money, then buy the second great lens.

Selling lenses? Does. Not. Compute. Buying lenses? Yes. Selling? Not so much!

FWIW, my vote is for the 85 1.4D; irrespective of all the tests, corner to corner sharpness and whatever all else, it's just a damn wonderful lens for 1 & 2 person portrait work. Probably 60% of my work is one with my 85!

Wow! I wanted to respond to everyone individually, but the amounts of brackets and quotes was making me dizzy. Let me see if I can try this another way....

@Braineack Get rid of the 150 ?! No way! It is totally my favorite lens ever. Ive never really heard of the 105 1.4E though, so I may have to check, into it for the future! If I get the 105 and don't like it, Ill totally send it your way! ;-)

@Vtec44 thank you for reminding me to think about build quality as well! Since I am officially married to Nikon, I do hope to have this lens until death do we part. ;-) Better make sure its a good one!

@Derrel this 105, its really HEAVIER than my 150? I cant even imagine walking about with such a thing. Weight is the main reason that my 150mm is reserved for intentional sessions.

@Derrel and @tirediron, after looking and comparing portrait samples of the 1.8G and the 1.4D, I am totally in love with the look from the 1.4D (which I hadn't even originally considered.) However, it is priced a little higher than I was originally thinking of spending, so I've decided to part ways with my sony equipment to help fund it. Hopefully I will be posting test shots with it in the near future!

A big thank you to everyone who offered their perspectives, I truly appreciate all of your time and thoughts. <3

...@Derrel and @tirediron, after looking and comparing portrait samples of the 1.8G and the 1.4D, I am totally in love with the look from the 1.4D (which I hadn't even originally considered.) However, it is priced a little higher than I was originally thinking of spending, so I've decided to part ways with my sony equipment to help fund it. ...
Look around on Craig's List, etc. I got my current [pristine] copy for $600.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back