Which 85mm for Nikon?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by JustJazzie, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Have you the d500 and d850, didn't realize that :)

Seriously though, you should not need the very newest best most expensive cameras in their class for a lens to do its job well. Not everyone can afford your kit

• Like Like x 1
  2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    maybe what I should have said is: sell the 150mm to buy ME a 105E... It could be at least considered instead of an 85mm.

I think I was thinking of a different lens last night, and I missed that it was Macro.

But the Nikon is technically lighter is smaller :p :p

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I always think it's a bad idea to sell a great lens in order to buy another great lens; that's not the way to approach lens buying over the long term. I consider Jazzie's 150mm macro a great portraiture lens--one of the top 10 lenses for people pictures, even though it does happen to be a macro lens, which is usually not a good thing. But the thing is, the 150mm lens is just long enough to give that telephoto compression look AND it has a nice bokeh character. it's shorter than a 180mm prime, which I am familiar with, and being shorter is a good thing, and longer than a 135mm, which is rare these days. A 105mm lens is a fine length for sure, and Nikon has made some fantastic 105mm's, with the new E model being one of the best lenses around, yet still, selling a great lens like the 150mm Sigma macro deprives you of...well...the ownership and use of a great lens! Just keep it, save money, then buy the second great lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Selling lenses? Does. Not. Compute. Buying lenses? Yes. Selling? Not so much!

FWIW, my vote is for the 85 1.4D; irrespective of all the tests, corner to corner sharpness and whatever all else, it's just a damn wonderful lens for 1 & 2 person portrait work. Probably 60% of my work is one with my 85!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. JustJazzie

JustJazzie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow! I wanted to respond to everyone individually, but the amounts of brackets and quotes was making me dizzy. Let me see if I can try this another way....

@Braineack Get rid of the 150 ?! No way! It is totally my favorite lens ever. Ive never really heard of the 105 1.4E though, so I may have to check, into it for the future! If I get the 105 and don't like it, Ill totally send it your way! ;-)

@Vtec44 thank you for reminding me to think about build quality as well! Since I am officially married to Nikon, I do hope to have this lens until death do we part. ;-) Better make sure its a good one!

@Derrel this 105, its really HEAVIER than my 150? I cant even imagine walking about with such a thing. Weight is the main reason that my 150mm is reserved for intentional sessions.

@Derrel and @tirediron, after looking and comparing portrait samples of the 1.8G and the 1.4D, I am totally in love with the look from the 1.4D (which I hadn't even originally considered.) However, it is priced a little higher than I was originally thinking of spending, so I've decided to part ways with my sony equipment to help fund it. Hopefully I will be posting test shots with it in the near future!

A big thank you to everyone who offered their perspectives, I truly appreciate all of your time and thoughts. <3

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Look around on Craig's List, etc. I got my current [pristine] copy for $600.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JustJazzie

Photos OK to edit
    thats a great deal! Ill keep an eye out. I was oogling them at KEH because its terribly convenient, but also in the $700-800+ range.

8. Frank F.

Frank F. engineering art Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

strange enough the 85G 1.8 shows better AF on the D500 than on the D850, but that might be user error. The 850 AF is slightly different from the D500 AF and I do not understand the difference by now. The 500 and the 85 are sweet together.

I am sure your car is worth more than my whole bag while my car is worth less than my 85G 1.8.... I do not care about cars as long as they do what they are supposed to do.

9. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    "..thank you for reminding me to think about build quality as well! Since I am officially married to Nikon, I do hope to have this lens until death do we part. ;-) Better make sure its a good one!"

I have started to build quality as well. About one year ago, I decided to direct some of my money toward new/different photo gear. An upgrade camera body was eventually followed by five (so far) used lenses of a higher quality than my first two lenses. I bought more flashes as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JustJazzie

Photos OK to edit
    I was just looking at higher quality flashes too. I think a name brand TTL flash definitely has its place in my kit. I do have a Neewer 750II that does TTL but it has quite a few flaws which lead me to believe it wont last too long.

I went a little backwards and got an awesome body without the glass to help it showcase the bodies potential, but I haven't regretted it! Now that I have my "bases covered" so to speak in focal lengths (28-105 and a 70-300) I have decided it's important to only grab lens's that really shine.

I guess I am starting to realize that this really is a lifetime hobby and I should make sure my kit is up to the marathon!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frank F.

Frank F. engineering art Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you are ready to carry the weight and bare the noise .... in built quality the1.4D is really very nice

12. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I had the 85 1.8G...it was alright
    the 1.4G has better Bokeh
    also consider the Sigma 1.4