Which adapter do I need for Nikon Retro lenses?

eriksen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to use manual Nikon lenses on my Sony A6000 and I´m not familiar with the mounts on these. Which of these adapters do I need for lenses like 50mm 1.8 E series, and 135mm 2.8?

Can anybody here help me with this question?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Which mount type does the lens have?

Which mount type does the lens have?
I,m not sure. These lenses are prefered by many photographers because of their sharpness, so that is why I´m interested to know more about them.

Maybe there are other members in this forum who are familiar with these lenses and can tell us?

Most Nikkor lenses from 1959 on are 'f' mount.

All older Series E lenses are F-mount, Ai-S (speed notch, linear diaphragm travel), and have aperture rings on the lens. Many of the newer F-mount are AF-S lenses (A-uto F-ocusing, S-ilent wave motor); many of the newer version of AF-S lenses are AF-S "G" series lenses, the vast majority of which have NO aperture ring on the lens itself.

Because the vast majority of G-series Nikkor lenses lack an on-lens f/stop control, the adapters for G-series Nikon lenses have an adapter-based f/stop controlling "tab" system, so those adapters are at times, more-expensive than the "basic" F- mount adapters.

This adapter looks nice, AND it can use newer, AF-S G-series lenses too!

Nikon AI AF-S G Lens To Sony NEX5 5C 5N 5R NEX6 NEX7 A5000 A6000 E-Mount Adapter | eBay

Price is low, since it is MIC, and sold directly out of China, not imported to USA by a middle-man.

Last edited:
Keep in mind a lot of those are made in China, like Apple products are, so if the quality isn't an issue and you are ok with that go ahead. I'd get one from a better source personally and I'd also go for an autofocus model.

The auto-focus system are many times more expencive and what I´ve seen on many other forums on the web, these auto-focus lenses are not so sharp and clear as the older manual focus lenses which also are up to 10 times cheaper.

I don´t think there are any quality issues in these cheap adapters because there are no glasses inside, only a space of air which is no different from the expensive ones

The auto-focus system are many times more expencive and what I´ve seen on many other forums on the web, these auto-focus lenses are not so sharp and clear as the older manual focus lenses which also are up to 10 times cheaper.

I don´t think there are any quality issues in these cheap adapters because there are no glasses inside, only a space of air which is no different from the expensive ones
Some of the very cheapest adapters have poor dimensional QC. So the length of air might differ slightly more than it should. It's unlikely to cause problems unless you're trying to adapt very short focal length lenses.

I bought a case of adapters at $12.99 each; ONE of the 12 was totally,totally,totally useless and wayyyyyyy out of spec; these were made in China adapters from e-Bay, 10 years ago now. Average machining, with some tool marks still visible on the metal...not horrible, but not "great" either.

My most recent was the Fotodiox "Pro Series" adapter for Nikon G-series to Canon EF mount camera for the 200mm f/2 VR lens, a very heavy lens; price was $119 U.S. dollars when I bought that four years ago; VERY solid, very precise machining.

My preference is toward brass adapters, plated, rather than all-aluminum adapters.

For older lenses, like the 135/2.8 Ai or the 100 or 50mm Series E, I think "plain old vanilla" adapters ought to be adequate, as long as the specifications are correct. I really think that you ought to buy five or six of these low-cost manual adapters, not just "one".

Why do I need to buy so many of them. Do these adapters break very easily or do these older lenses need different adapters?

You will most likely prefer to LEAVE the adapter on each lens. You will likely want to make sure each adapter is made to the proper specifications. I expect that $30 or so for lens adapters seems a reasonable price to pay.

What about this one. It has a tripod mount in adition to 8 stops Exact Aperture dial. But it is described: "Sony E NEX Mount Adapter Aperture for A7 A7R NEX 7 6 5 3. "

How can this be possible? Sony A7 has another mount than E NEX.

Looks nice! Has like 15 different aperture control settings. Does not ship to USA. Being sold from China, possibly the listing means they have TWO, different Sony mounts available, I would presume. Has a tripod mount on there, built into the adapter, in sort of the "new style".

Most reactions

Back