Which antivirus, Kaspersky or McAfee?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by LukaBuka, Sep 18, 2005.

1. LukaBuka

LukaBuka TPF Noob!

I am looking for an antivirus for Windows XP because I am tired of all that **** that tries to infect my PC. So far I looked into Kaspersky AntiVirus Personal and McAfee Antivirus. Which one is better or should I pick something entirely different?

2. stevesurf

stevesurf TPF Noob!

Computer Associates EZ AntiVirus is good and is includes a one year free subscription. I used to use McAfee and Symantec (Norton), but the integrate themselves too much into your applications and are difficult to remove.

This, together with the Windows firewall and Adaware Plus (and Adwatch) will provide good anti-virus and anti-spyware/popup protection.

Good luck!

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've actually read quite a bit of good stuff about Kaspersky lately, but I've never actually used it. I know their response time in terms of responding to a new virus outbreak tends to be much faster than the other more popular companies. My only possible concern would be how careful they are at making sure updates have no flaws.

I'd say give it a shot.

4. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    having no experience with Kaspersky but tons of experience with McAfee I will recomend Avast antivirus. Its free and very effective.

5. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

ive got the Mcafee internet security suite running on my pc. Its has firewall, antivirus, spamfilter and a few other things. Im quite happy with it, hasnt let me down up to now.

I havent used Kaspersky so i cant really compare it.

I beleive norton has gone down hill quite alot in recent years so would steer clear of that

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Avg ;)

7. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    AVG is a good product too but I switched to Avast because its a bit more proactive. AVG would say "Your infected! You should run a scan!" but Avast will say "You infected, what should we do with this virus?". It also supports a bootime scan before windows loads that is great at weeding out viruses that use stealth techniques or parent processes to respawn them.

8. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got AVG as well. :) Sorry if that's no help!

9. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I plan to try out avg sometime, but i keep forgetting to download it.

I use McAfee Antivirus. The thing I like best about it is usually each year there is a coupon in the box, so you end up getting the next year for free, after rebates arrive. Norton also has this. The updates for McAfee seem to come out on a regular basis and it auto updates for me, so I dont have to remember to check each day.

I use ZoneAlarm for a firewall, but its creating problems on my windows xp machine. it doestn like to let me do stuff online when the firewall is running. Ill have to try the newest version sometime. I rarely go online with that machine.

For spyware ive heard its recommended to get 3 programs. They each catch stuff the other ones dont. Ad-Aware, Spybot: search and destroy, and Microsoft anti spyware or what ever its called. I only have 2 on my notebook since it seems the 3rd requires windows 2000 or newer.

I dont know how much it really helps in preventing spyware and viruses online, but I try to only use firefox and mozilla, and not internet explorer.

10. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

ad-aware and spybot used in conjuction will get rid of just about every bit of spyware, and they are free

11. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^yep. VERY handy progs. i use both. and norton. i noticed nobody else uses norton (?). is it really bad or something? I'm starting to worry now...

12. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

now need to worry beginning :) i just read a couple of bad reviews about the latest version (slowing down systems badly etc) when i was shopping around for some antivirus software. If its running ok on your systems thats fine