Which B&W Film to use?

kilifila66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for some B&W film suggestions. Essentially I am a huge detail freak and I am looking for a film that can capture it all. If you could please include the speed you like and the film type. Oh and 35mm film only.

Thanks In Advance,
Drew

I like Ilford Delta 100 for detail work. But you have to watch what developer you are using too. Along with the agitation. Both can effect grain.

More information about subject matter, typical lighting conditions, and shooting style would help. But without knowing any of that, and assuming that "detail freak" means you want a fine grain, highly enlargable film, I would recommend Tmax 100.

You're asking such a broad question that is difficult to answer, simply because you haven't provided sufficient perameters.

For What camera and what enlarger and lens? each, especially the type of enlarger would affect the choice of film, developers, and, especially developing methods.

As for mere suggestions:

Panatomic-X -(unfortunately, no longer made) with either Rodinal or Microdol-X developed 1:3; or in FR's X-22, which is no longer made as well - with this developer 8 X 10's looked like contact prints from the same sized negative.

Plus-X with Microdol-X developed 1:3

Tri-X developed in Diafine - ASA/IS0 rating of 1200 or 1600.

Hope this little tidbit is of some use.

Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back