Which backpack for me?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by prodigy2k7, Jul 1, 2008.

1. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So, I like the idea of a backpack, so I can hike to places without a bag with a strap banging against my hip. Are there any backpacks that you can take camera equip out without having to take it off?

Also, I plan to have a backpack that can handle a 70-200 F/2.8 IS USM (canon) connected to body and a few regular size lenses and an extra/backup body. And possibly 1-3 extra slots for extra stuff like a new lens in the future or a flash or just anything!

Anybody have any ideas?

I was looking at backpacks the other day, I forgot the brand name but i remember the model was "Expedition" or something... How are these for what I want? Thanks!

Edit: How is this? http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm

2. Sim

Sim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    thats pretty nifty, maybe a bigger bag needed tho

4. tjstrain

tjstrain TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got the Expedition 5587 a month ago. It's perfect for carrying all of your stuff off road. BUT, I don't see any way to use it and carry at the same time. it's on your back, unless you have eye's in the back of your head and looooooong rubber arms, there's no way to get stuff out while moving or taking it off.Front access only, stuff will fall out if your moving around and open it up. Now on the other hand I also got the tamrac sling type "velocity 9X" pack. it can be carried and accessed while moving. Only one sling/strap so you can slide it to the front to access your equipment. No where as large as the 5587 but it does the job while in motion. http://www.tamrac.com/5769.htm
    Access is from the top not the front like the expedition 5587

5. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit

thanks, ill probably eventually get both, expedition to carry most of my equip, another to carry me on a small hiking/walking trail (when i go to yosemite and camping trips)

I dunno we shall see! THe backpack is proably easier to carry while on a bike, the 1 strap seems kinda unsafe while ur on a bike. I guess ill get backpack first to carry my equip around..

Thanks!

6. penfold1

penfold1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was going to purchase the tamrac but it gets horrible reviews.

My src is amazon.

7. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think if you need bigger than that a hard-case would be the deal. That holds 6 lenses and an SLR with a long lens mounted on it. A fairly massive top pouch and a slip pouch. I don't think I've seen bigger than that unless they were shaped like a sports bag - and those things suck as a substitute to a nice hardcase.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  8. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can't mean the Slingshot 300 - this baby is sometimes TOO big.

I can carry 70-200 f/2.8L IS mounted (or not) with hood reversed, 580EXII, two bodies (both with grip), enough slots for 4 more lens (+2 more lens if you only use one body), PLUS one huge opening on top to store tripod ring, rocket blower, rubber hoods ...

It is not a "backpack" so all that weight is on your right shoulder and supposedly your waist.

9. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Slingshot 200, and it's great, but getting a bit small.

My free Mini Trekker AW from a magazine subscription arrived today, and I was planning on sticking it on ebay, but I'm really impressed with it. There's loads of room for your gear, a fairly large front pocket to store anything non-camera-related, a handy storm-flap and a hideable tripod holder!

It can hold, according to the brochure: 1-2 SLRs and 4-6 lenses (up to 200mm f/2.8)

Inner dimensions: 11 (Width) x 5 (Depth) x 14.5 (Height) Inches

I used to think it'd be handy to access my gear without taking my bag off, but I've never felt the advantage out in the field, as it were. I don't think a backpack will inhibit me unless I wanted to quickly change lenses all the time.

Here she is, the beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also: I've somehow managed to chip the paint off my tripod's leg :grumpy: Hopefully it won't start rusting; I have enough trouble with my bike!

10. RyanMillerPhoto

RyanMillerPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Nature Trekker II and I love it. It is quite large but does seem to fit everything. Even loaded, I don't feel the wait as the waist strap helps take the load off the shoulders.

11. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    I am going to go to a local photoshop see if they have any, try them on see how big they are etc...