Which bag for me?

spiralout462

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been browsing for a quality camera bag for my gear for the past 3 months! There aren't any local camera stores in my area so I can't physically try one on for size. I think I have narrowed it down to a shoulder bag. My budget is under $100. I want a bag that will hold up for many, many years and comfortably hold a DSLR, 3 lenses, and accessories. My ideal bag will be easy to "grab and go". I want to be able to access my camera at a moments notice. I don't want to wish I would have gotten a bigger bag a year down the road.

I am considering Tamrac, Lowepro, Thinktank and Canon. Like I said I would like to keep it under $100, I do appreciate a good value. I am just overwhelmed by the choices out there! That is why I decided to ask the question to the well informed members of TPF. Thank you so much for your help!

Yep, LOTS of options out there, and even here, you're likely to get as many different opinions as you get replies.

You said "comfortably hold a DSLR, 3 lenses and accessories" but that leaves a lot still in question. What camera body? Which lenses? BIG difference between a bag that will hold a D3200, 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 zoom and a 50mm, versus say, a gripped D800 with a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, 300mm f/4 and whatever else.
Do accessories include an off-camera flash?

I use the LowePro 202AW--but when I just went to Google and find the actual number, I think I may have just fallen in love with the Sport 200 AW backpack! :lol:

Anyway, the one I *currently* have (which may be for sale soon, lol) fits a good bit for as small as it looks. I can carry my D7000 body, and three smaller lenses with no problem, or I can carry the D7000 on my person, and fit a lot more into the backpack--in a pinch, I can get the Tamron 70-200, plus a 50mm, a 28mm, a 100mm macro and the kit 18-55 lens in the main compartment, and if I really push it, the backup D5100 body in the upper zipped compartment.
I do have to take the grip off the D7000 to fit it in very well though, but usually I just carry the D7000 (since it also usually has a 150-500 lens connected to it), and use the backpack for other lenses, flash and maybe the D5100.

Now, to be fair, that is pushing the limits of this little bag. For ease of access, I'm better off to use for the D5100 with the kit lens attached, the 100mm macro lens, 28mm lens and a flash.

It's a sling style pack, so it IS easy to access what's in it, unless you have it stuffed so full that you can't get one thing out without rearranging everything!!

I'm sure you'll hear lots of other options as well. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go investigate this LowePro Sport backpack a little further… :D

Thanks for the reply! I have a Canon T5i/700D. So far I own the kit 18-55 mm and a 55-250 mm lenses. Ideally I would like to be able to leave the "long" lens attached to the camera when I want too. In the near future I will probably acquire a small prime lens and a speedlight, (hopefully the 430exII).

I have looked at the Lowepro sling bags. They do seem popular and practical for cycling, hiking etc. I don't know why I think I need a shoulder bag. It's just what I'm used to I guess.

I have the LowePro 202AW as well, and I really like it. It carries my D610 + grip with a total of 4 Nikkor lenses (50mm, 18-35mm, 105mm, and 70-200 f/4). I even have some spare room for filters, cleaning material, and other accessories. I like the fact that I can have the camera in the bag and pull it out in seconds to take pictures. Like sm4him said, I like the fact that it packs a lot, but still remains an amazingly small bag so to speak. It sells for 99$ on the Lowepro website store.

Having quickly outgrown a couple of camera gear bags, I settled on getting an insert that will work in anything appropriately sized from 'cheap gym bag' (what I use now), to more expensive camera gear bag, or even as part of a roll-on luggage bag.

Amazon.com: ciesta camera bag insert

Note: I have no stake or interest in Ciesta or Amazon, and am merely a satisfied customer.

I forgot to mention...When fully packed, it holds a gripped full-frame camera, 4 lenses, flash, fold-up flash bracket, and a variety of filters, memory cards and batteries.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So $54.99 for the Lowepro 202AW is a pretty good buy then?

So $54.99 for the Lowepro 202AW is a pretty good buy then?

Oh yeah, I would jump on it real quick at this price. I paid mine 97$ + tx. It's a great bag, no doubt about it. I shoot sports on soccer fields and I bring it everywhere I go. I would buy it again.

The only drawback I've found with it, since it's a sling bag, if you want to use it for a very long walk/trek, and if your bag is heavy (mine is 13 lbs), it's tiring to have that weight on only one and same shoulder. For such use, I would use a bag with 2 straps, one on each shoulder to distribute the weight evenly.

$54.99 is a great price for the Lowepro 202AW if it's a new bag. As Microbois said above the only downside is when you're carrying some weight it can get a bit tiring and sore having all the weight on one shoulder. I own this bag as well, and depending on what I'm doing I've gotten as much as a gripped D7000, Nikon 80-200 2.8, Nikon flash, and a couple smaller lenses 35 1.8 or 50 1.8, plus a few accessories.

As far as durability I've owned mine for over 4 years now, and it gets used all the time. It gets thrown in the back of my car, hauled to events, and has made several trips on my back while riding my motorcycle enduring rain, wind, and just about everything you can think of, and it still looks and performs as new.

Thanks for the quick responses ! I don't really do much hiking so I'm not too concerned about the weight. It's funny because earlier today I thought I wanted a shoulder bag, but the Slingshot does seem more practical for my needs. I think I will go ahead and purchase the 202.

edit: I'm still not sure the T5i with 55-250mm attached will fit?

Last edited:
It'll fit. I have the 100 series sling (read: smaller bag), and it comfortably fits my Rebel XSi, 18-55, 55-250, 50 prime, and one speed light (as well as a few tiny accessories).

I ended up purchasing a larger bag for when I need all my junk to go along with me, but the sling works perfect for the above. :smile:

I'm still not sure the T5i with 55-250mm attached will fit?

If that may help you, the total length inside the bag to fit the camera and a lens is about 8 1/2", maybe 9" if you dont mind pushing down on the camera a little bit to close the bag. How long is your camera with the lens attached?

I bought the Slingshot 205 aw. The combination of form and function and quality should suit my needs well. Now it's time to wait! Thanks guys for all your help!

Yes, you are correct.

I bought the Slingshot 205 aw. The combination of form and function and quality should suit my needs well. Now it's time to wait! Thanks guys for all your help!
You won't regret it! :smile:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back