Which battery grip to get? so many choices...

Mygixxer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Have the canon 550d t2i. looking for a battery grip pack. I have seen a variance in price. I dont want to get a cheap replica, but if an off brand will do just as good from a reliable shopping place than I would trust it if others recommended it. I knew someone who purchased a cheap knock off and it sucked. I dont want to deal with that. Is it best to go with the
canon brand

From adorama:
Phottix BP-550D Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i / 600D / T3i PH33485

Vello from
B&H $72.50
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Grip_for.html

from
B&H $140
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_Grip.html

from
B&H $119
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_Grip.html

from
B&H $93.86
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ower_Grip.html

The Canon isn't much more, I'd go for that one.

When I've bought battery grips, the Canon model was well over $100 more than the off-brand options.

I seriously considered going with a genuine Canon grip. I ended up paying $20 for a Meike grip instead and I'm totally satisfied.

I have the genuine Canon grip. But I noticed someone on another forum mentioning that they were on the phone with B&H ... who suggested they get the Vello brand (they seemed to be under the impression that this was the best 3rd party grip.) I have not seen one of these in real-life, but I was looking at the photo of the grip (close-up shots) and I noticed something while comparing it my Canon grip (that I'm looking at in real-life)...

Literally... every single screw, every seam, every molding, you name it... was absolutely identical. It was as if some supplier makes the grips for Canon and then runs off a few extra copies but doesn't bother to stamp the logo on them. I'm not saying that's what happens -- I honestly don't know -- all I know is that the grip was such a good clone that it made me wonder. I suspect that if it's such a perfect clone on the parts that I *can* see, then it's also likely to be a perfect clone on the parts I cannot see.

If I had to do over again, I'd probably have gone with the Vello brand grip.

I seriously considered going with a genuine Canon grip. I ended up paying $20 for a Meike grip instead and I'm totally satisfied.

I got the Meike grip on my T3i, and it is great. Very solid.

I am not a canon guy but will tell you always go name brand canon for your camera. With those other brands you risk them damaging your camera. I have read many people complain about those cheapo grips messing up their cameras.

Just be careful so you don't become a statistic to premature camera life.

I have been using Phottix grip and batteries for over a year now under all types of conditions, and I can't imagine ever using something else! I've never held a Canon grip so I cant compare but the Phottix is literally perfect, well built, long lasting battery life, convenient and just wonderful. Purchase directly from their site, they courier international. Oh, and they're dead cheap!!

www.reynardt.co.za

I got the Meike grip on my T3i, and it is great. Very solid.

Meike grips seem to be the most popular if not the best 3rd party grip out there. Even "branded" 3rd party grips seem to be rebranded Meike grips. As per performance, Meike seems to function the same as original grips (not only Canon) and look like them short of saying that they are knock offs and offers the best price. So far I haven't heard of any major gripes about this brand. In fact, heard about people returning original grips for this. But should you want a piece of mind and have the budget of course, go for the original.

Last edited:
Any links for a Meike grip?

Read this: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...attery-grip-my-d7000-lasted-exactly-1-hr.html

(Yes, I know this is a 6-month-old thread but the question I responded to is from today)

This particular model for the D7000 gets a bad rap otherwise for entry level DSLRs especially those that don't have a grip option such as the Canon 1100D/T3 and the Nikon D3000/D5000 series, Meike is your best option.

The Meike/Neewer grip seems to be decent for the price and there are good reviews in Amazon. Amazon.com: Neewer Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D 600D / Rebel T2i T3i SLR: Camera & Photo. I have used my cousin's T2i with the said grip and it seems to be ok for me. (I use a non-Meike but generic brand for my Nikon). For it's price, I'd still be willing to "risk" 25 bucks. If it turns out bad, then it's time to bite the bullet and plunk in $200 for a Canon grip. But there's a good deal in Amazon for this. Amazon.com: Canon BG-E8 Battery Grip for Canon T2i, T3i and T4i Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

PS 1 Given the prices the OP mentioned in the first post I'd either go low end and go for the Meike/Neewer (Meike rebranded) which is a good and low priced knockoff (Other brands seem to be rebranded Meike grips, so why pay more for the same stuff?) or skip the higher priced knockoffs such as Vello and go for the original but heavily discounted Canon grip shown above.

PS 2 My cousin's Meike/Neewer grip is already two years old and still going strong. FYI.

PS 3 Neewer branded grips are actually Meike grips. Order a Neewer grip and when it arrives, the box of the grip says Meike. It's like an umbrella brand similar to Fosmon.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Read this: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...attery-grip-my-d7000-lasted-exactly-1-hr.html

(Yes, I know this is a 6-month-old thread but the question I responded to is from today)

This particular model for the D7000 gets a bad rap otherwise for entry level DSLRs especially those that don't have a grip option such as the Canon 1100D/T3 and the Nikon D3000/D5000 series, Meike is your best option.

The Meike/Neewer grip seems to be decent for the price and there are good reviews in Amazon. Amazon.com: Neewer Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D 600D / Rebel T2i T3i SLR: Camera & Photo. I have used my cousin's T2i with the said grip and it seems to be ok for me. (I use a non-Meike but generic brand for my Nikon). For it's price, I'd still bewilling to "risk" 25 bucks. If it turns out bad, then it's time to bite the bullet and plunk in $200 for a Canon grip. But there's a good deal in Amazon for this. Amazon.com: Canon BG-E8 Battery Grip for Canon T2i, T3i and T4i Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

PS 1 Given the prices the OP mentioned in the first post I'd either go low end and go for the Meike/Neewer (Meike rebranded) which is a good and low priced knockoff (Other brands seem to be rebranded Meike grips, so why pay more for the same stuff?) or skip the higher priced knockoffs such as Vello and go for the original but heavily discounted Canon grip shown above.

PS 2 My cousin's Meike/Neewer grip is already two years old and still going strong. FYI.

PS 3 Neewer branded grips are actually Meike grips. Order a Neewer grip and when it arrives, the box of the grip says Meike. It's like an umbrella brand similar to Fosmon.

Great deal on the neewer. New batt grip and 4 replacement batteries for $30. Thanks for the link.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back