Which camera do I start with?

chappellboy34

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking at outdoor photography and wonder do I start with film or digital? Any good starter camera suggestions?

Any SLR to start will be good.
I prefer digital - but its preferance.
I have the Sony A200 - I'm more than happy with it. Check Ebay - got mine with a bag, filters, adapters..etc for $313

Which camera? Go hold as many as you can and see which one feels right and is in your price range, that's most likely the one.

I was never huge into film when I started photography, but my guess is with the right film, you'll get better dynamic range than any DSLR could provide, but then you have to hassle of developing and if you don't have room to do it yourself, then it can really become a negative selling point in my opinion.

Film is cheaper to start off with though and for the price of a DSLR, you could even get a medium format body. I think that's going to be my next purchase.

Digital will undoubtably be easier to learn on if you want to learn. What's that mean? You get instant feed back so you know exactly what settings get you that picture. However, if you take that for granted and don't put the time and effort into learning why those settings make that picture, then it becomes a waste.

Oh, and whatever you do, buy Canon. They're superior to every other brand out there except Hasselblad. True story.

Which camera? Go hold as many as you can and see which one feels right and is in your price range, that's most likely the one.

:thumbup:

That's the only bad part about Ebay.

Go to your local camera store or a Best Buy and see what you like the feel of. Don't worry about what brand it is. Some say Canon and Nikon are best - it's not that they're the best, they just have the largest range of lenses, you'll be fine with whatever you get, THEN you can upgrade. Whatever works for you - go in there with an open mind and leave with an open mind - but with a few ideas. The bad part about a camera store is they are unlikely to have older models if you're price range is low.

Go to your local camera store or a Best Buy and see what you like the feel of. Don't worry about what brand it is. Some say Canon and Nikon are best - it's not that they're the best, they just have the largest range of lenses, you'll be fine with whatever you get, THEN you can upgrade. Whatever works for you - go in there with an open mind and leave with an open mind - but with a few ideas. The bad part about a camera store is they are unlikely to have older models if you're price range is low.

No, I'm pretty sure Canon is the best.

and I Second That!!!

and I Second That!!!

Ok, MAYBE I'd agree if I had one :lol: :greenpbl:

But anyway, any camera will do fine for a first.

Due to my witty new signature, I will not be directly participating in any more "what camera should I buy" threads. Instead, I will just post "sig", and refer people to my sig.

I think all of the "brandists" are giving too much credit to the equipment and not enough to themselves. But fine, if they don't want to acknowledge themselves as quality photographers, then thats their problem :)

I mean, I've seen some astonishing pictures posted by tharmsen, but now that I know its all the equipment and not the operator, I've lost respect for him as a photographer, I guess he's just the monkey pushing the shutter button.

SrBiscuit, please pass the popcorn over here too!

For no other reason than to spam this guy's thread and make this a legitimate, 2-sided argument: Canon sucks; get Nikon! :lol:

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

Canon is the best. Period.

Hasselblad is better. You need flashes just to make scenes have the proper dynamic range with your puny little toy camera. I on the other hand just need my trust H3D-II 50 or whatever the designation is. It's only 50mp, I know, but it'll due.

I think all of the "brandists" are giving too much credit to the equipment and not enough to themselves. But fine, if they don't want to acknowledge themselves as quality photographers, then thats their problem :)

SrBiscuit, please pass the popcorn over here too!

I'm not good, my camera is good.

Most reactions

Back