which camera for sewing projects and portraits without a flash

kmullen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm brand new to the forum but have been using a point and shoot for years to photograph my children and the sewing projects that I sell online.

Any suggestions for a digital SLR that will take great photos of still life in natural light (blankets, towels, baby items) and also people?

Taking these WITHOUT a flash is a must. I never use a flash - photos taken with a flash don't sell the product!

I am willing to learn but know little about photography. Our price range is $500-800.

Hello and welcome to TPF from another Tarheel.

I shoot Nikon and would be biased in that direction. However, you have a great misunderstanding of flash photography. Effective product photography WILL need flash to make your subject pop, properly lighted and give a 3D look. I would suggest to not to have such a stern stance on flash until you have more information to base that opinion on. DO NOT consider the flash on your P&S as a flash.

Back to the camera...... Nikon..... or Canon.... or Sony.... or Olympus.... or any will suit your needs. Best advice is to go to a local camera shop and hand hold each model that fits your budget, look at the lens line up (most important) and any accessories.... say, like a flash. :biggrin:

Probably all DSLR's will do what you want. Do a search of previous threads on this topic and you'll get alot of information.

I believe any entry level DSLR from any brands will do the job. Even a few years old used model.
I will get a fast prime lens with the camera such as the 50mm F/1.8 lens.

If you really want to use the natural light, I will suggest get a tripod as well.

As for the flash or no flash. Often that you can use the off camera flash(s) with a modifier (such as umbrella or softbox) to create a great product photo.

I also agree on the flash issue. I've recently started experimenting with a flash on flower macros in the bright sun and I pleasantly surprised with the results.

Taking these WITHOUT a flash is a must. I never use a flash - photos taken with a flash don't sell the product!

The use of lights needs to be learned. You can get fine results with natural light and some home made reflectors but to say that photos taken with a flash don't sell the product...

If that was true there would be a lot of photographers out there in trouble ;)

Don't waste your money on a DSLR.

Quality photography, be it portaiture or product, is all about controlling and recording light. The way to have the most control is with man made light(s). Studio strobes or Speedlights are the usual choices.

However, it takes more work, (and more knowledge) than just point and shoot in natural light, particularly with a DSLR.

I'm willing to bet you'll be disapointed with the results you'll get with a DSLR, because the images will only be a marginally better, if at all that you can detect, than what you produce now with your p&s.

Many people think it is the camera that takes such great pictures, when in fact it is the photographer that makes that happen. If you don't understand how to use photography to it's best advantage you won't gain much, if anything by getting a DSLR.

If you're ready to commit to learning how to best use the new tool, that's great. But from what you have said so far I don't think you are.

In all honesty, if you want great images of your business products, hire a local professional to take them.

Only if you don't know how to properly use the flash to it's fullest potential. I can garuntee you there are a ton of pictures using a flash that look as realistic as natural light....as long as you place it, diffuse it, and power it properly.

As for your question, I'd suggest a entry level Canon DSLR or a used Nikon D50 and a 50mm f1.8 lens. This will give you more light....but I can garuntee if you properly learned to use a flash you'll probably get better results....especially for product photography.

Most reactions

Back