Which camera is the best for new born photography (studio) ?

Henno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
Thanks

Any DSLR and Mirrorless will be ok, its a matter of money how much you want and can afford.
Nikon D810 with Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and maybe some prime lenses like a Nikon 35mm 1.8G and Nikon 85mm 1.8G will be a nice beginning.
That's a starting investment of around 5000$
Of course you can go with basic Nikon D3400 with Nikon 50mm 1.8G which will cost you around 600$-700$

But to be honest the most important thing is skills, worry first about learning to to use a camera and composition and then worry about buying equipment to make money.

[QUOTE="Henno, post: 3771186, member: 221813"I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera[/QUOTE]

No offense but if you are asking that question you should not even be thinking of starting a photography career or studio.

Try just focusing on learning photography first!

Olympus EM1 II with the 12-100 f/4 lens
reasoning is that babies pee everywhere and that if you need a camera that is weather/pee sealed

Hi all, I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
Thanks

OP:

If I went to a site for concert pianists and said that I was considering becoming a concert pianist. I didn't play the piano yet but I wanted to know the best one to buy, what response would you think that I would get?

Thanks

OP:

If I went to a site for concert pianists and said that I was considering becoming a concert pianist. I didn't play the piano yet but I wanted to know the best one to buy, what response would you think that I would get?
That is actually an easier question to answer as quality of pianos vary vastly but feature wise they don't differ nearly as much as cameras. So if you simply buy the same piano at the concert hall (which the pianist playing there unlikely to own one like that) it would be OK as it won't hinder you in any way.

Thanks

How can anyone answer your question? You ask the question only you can answer.

That you are asking the question isn't bad at all, however it shows that you've currently very little experience. You've also not stated any form of budget, as some have alluded to above; there are very cheap and very very expensive options for this depending on your situation.

I would argue that unless you present more information regarding your experience and budget in photography thus far then my assumption is that you're a beginner. As a result you'd likely benefit from any camera with manual control options and a general DSLR of any level (even entry level) would suit your needs right now as you get to grips with photography.

Thanks

OP:

Last edited:
Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
The best choice for one person may not be the best choice for everyone else. The word "best" means you will get many different responses. Based on nothing but reading about photography gear, I would recommend something like the Nikon D810, although the file sizes are huge, the sensor is well suited to portraiture. This camera is expensive, so when you ask for "the best", you're going to get something expensive.

If your budget won't allow for that, then I would recommend the Nikon D700. Even a used copy of this is probably better than many other cameras.

What lens? Ordinarily, I would say a longish lens that renders skin very well, but since newborns cannot stand or sit up, you're going to be slightly above your subjects, looking mostly downward onto them. This means a long lens is going to be a problem. So maybe I would choose something more like a 50mm, such as the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G, for instance. It is fairly good at rendering human skin, but the focal length should be considered as only marginally acceptable. Other lenses could be better, but we really need to know more about you and your budget.

There you have my concise recommendation; a Nikon D700 (used) and a (also used) Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G.

Then get one or more speedlights, some modifiers, light stands, etc., and learn how to use all that stuff.

Last edited:
Psssh you could save more by using a used 50mm 1.8D

Get some imnexpensive monolight flash units, two or three of them, a set of 40 to 43-inch photo umbrellas, a posing table, some baskets, soft fabrics and soft synthetic furs, space heater, some foam padding, etc.,etc.. get a d-slr camera, a triggering system, and watch a bunch of YouTube videos about the baby photo biz. Be prepared to spend $1,000 to $2,000 or so, but be aware, there is NOT a lot of money in this unless you know how to book and how to sell photos! This is a VERY crowded field, filled with moms who shoot photos for other moms, and the huge flood of people doing this at the low-end keeps most of these people from making much (if any?) money.

Isn't the B on the selector dial for Baby Mode?
Dial.jpg

Good luck with that! Most pro baby photographers are really just off season wedding photographers.
They'll beat you because they already have contacts with the newly weds, they'll beat you based on better gear and experience. In the Northern latitudes, Wedding Season is typically only late Spring to early Fall so the rest of the time they do families and babies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back