Which Camera Lens??

Snakedudeman328

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I am somewhat new to photography yet obviously new to this forum. I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife yet have a granddad who takes pictures and videos weddings and events of that nature. He recently gave me a Nikon D100 and it came with an 18-85mm lens (not sure if thats right but its close enough). For Christmas I want a lens that can take pictures of objects up close and one that can zoom in on objects from far away. Someone told me a Nikkor 70-300mm lens would be good for zooming in from far away so I did a search and found this

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541532883.htm

Would this be a nice lens to zoom in on objects from far away??? I also wanted the lens that could zoom in pretty close on objects so I found this

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541533329.htm

Would this be a good lens to get pretty close to an object??? I cant get a macro lens since they are too expensive for me right now.

Thanks for looking. I think this forum is way better than the other one im on ( alot more active) sooooo talk to you all later!

Really??!!! You have that exact one??? Im curious to know how well it can zoom in on things.

Thanks

There is a really nice website with an interactive zoom which shows you what say, 50mm, or 200mm, or 300mm zoom looks like.

I dont know the address though but I'm sure someone out there has it.

300mm is already like a telescope!

Innocence said:
300mm is already like a telescope!

If you shoot wildlife, even 300 won't be enough in many cases. my limit currently is 300 mm, and Most of the time I wish I had 600 or more!

I really am curious to know how well it can zoom in. Do you think Target or Walmart or RitzCamera will let me try the lens on my camera if I brought it in to see how good it is???

When you say you want to get close to an object I'm assuming you're interested in macro photography. The 70~300 will work admiably for closeup work. The 50mm isn't really cut out to do that kind of job. It gives you a wider field of view but since it's a short lens you won't be able to get as close to your subject. If I remember correctly (mods chime in on this if I'm wrong) it has something to do with how close you are the the focal plane or sensor. Unless you are seriously planning to persue serious wildlife photography you'll get by just fine with the 70~300.

yeah i think so also. My granddad just let me borrow his 75-300mm lens and I like it alot.

Most reactions

Back