Which Camera Nikon D300s or Canon 7D

have fun playing around with the two models! and either way you can't go wrong!

in Tempus, I was really getting panicked by Derrel's indication that action shooters are migrating from Canon to Nikon in flocks. However, feel relieved from your points and reasoning that it's not the reality. I had been to regional games events at 3 stadiums just 2 months ago and yes, white lenses outnumbered the black ones by big margin and felt proud mine was also one of those (although as a spectator I shot from high up in the stands and got great results). Being mainly a hobbyist nature photographer (including wildlife and birds) I use a 450D body with some consumer lenses. I added one great L lens to my arsenal 6 months ago and couldn't be happier with a lens. It's an EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. Plan to buy some more L lenses in near future.

May I hereby request your suggestion for a new body to meet my requirements? Would be much obliged if your recommendation is supported by brief reasons necessary for my type of photography.

Thanks in advance.

May I hereby request your suggestion for a new body to meet my requirements? Would be much obliged if your recommendation is supported by brief reasons necessary for my type of photography.

Great English! And very polite. But best to start a new thread if you wanted more targeted help. We will also need some more information about your budget, and would you mind using second hand equipment?

All the Best

J

Thnx Formatted. In fact I don't want to get bogged down by budget constraints unless the gear is one of ID series (in our country there's a saying "ghosts organize funds for passions"). I'm contemplating either 5DMII or 7D. Maintain certain reservations against both. I'm against inclusion of video function on still cameras and cramming the sensor with high pixel counts. Probably 40D would best meet my needs however, new ones are no longer available. In my country (Bangladesh) old versions are also nearly unavailable. Due to some unknown reasons it didn't perform well in our climatic conditions but I know it's a wonderful camera. Interestingly enough, the 7D was and still is such a sensation here that even some staunch Nikonians dumped their gears and picked it up (this includes those who don't really need it).

I would be fully contended had my 450D offered little higher ISO (say 3200) with 1600 as very usable, 5 fps burst and shutter speed upto 1/6000. I can live with its AF as I have developed my own ways to exploit what is offered by this body.

Now may have your kind suggestions on what body should I buy next? It's not an urgent need but would very much welcome and appreciate ideas.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thnx Derrel for the mail. However, I would like to make my reply available to all for reading; hope u don't mind for that.

I'm convinced, Canon makes bodies to the plans and whims of its directors - not the actual users or photographers and it's not their new habit. That's why it's packed with some cheap gimmicks, missing out on real needs. U know success breeds 3 bad products, in short it's CAL. Complacence, Arrogance and Loss of focus. I don't know when will they recover from this ailment!

I shoot Canon mainly for its lenses. They didn't make the same mistake here. There's an wide array of glasses to choose from. Nikon still doesn't offer equivalents to all of them as of today; not to mention that available ones are significantly pricier.

Last edited:
I was always a Nikon guy until the 7D came out. I switched over, and haven't looked back.

Also, for the record, every event I ever shoot where I bump elbows with big time pro photographers, they're all using Canon. Every time. Always. I've yet to see any professional press photographer using a Nikon body while I've been on assignment.

Always. I've yet to see any professional press photographer using a Nikon body while I've been on assignment.
Before the D3 Nikon had a very small share of the market now it is 30% / 60% to Canon so what you may say is true. But its probably your experiences. There are many many Nikon Shooters. When Getty sent photographers to the Vancover olympics they provided them with Nikon Gear.

So the trend is shifting thats because professionals don't give a rats arse about video. And more about high ISO performance and faster auto-focus!

For Full-Frame cameras.

D3 / D700 > 7D / 5D

Last edited:
I'm convinced, Canon makes bodies to the plans and whims of its directors - not the actual users or photographers and it's not their new habit. That's why it's packed with some cheap gimmicks, missing out on real needs. U know success breeds 3 bad products, in short it's CAL. Complacence, Arrogance and Loss of focus. I don't know when will they recover from this ailment!

I don't know about you, but I'm an actual user and photographer, and I love Canon bodies. They make design choices to put their cameras in specific categories, like the 5DII being one of the best studio cameras you can get for the money and the 7D being one of the best sports cameras you can get for the money. Now, I wish they had a nice full frame speed camera like the D700 (even if it requires a grip to do so), but the extra reach of the 7D and 1D are perfect for most sports anyway.

Both perform equally well, but it bounces back every couple years or so. Right now Nikon leads the pack in my opinion though and they will continue to lead the pack with lenses for a long while I think. They are an optics company first and a camera company second. What many people don't know is that there are a lot more Nikkor lenses available than at first glance, they are just hard to come by for the everyday consumer.

I've seen it somewhere in someones sig here: If you wan't to buy Canon, get a printer:lol:

Someone also said a few pages back that no pros use Nikons... look again. Chase Jarvis, Joe McNally, David Hobby, those are just the ones that are popular too...

Always. I've yet to see any professional press photographer using a Nikon body while I've been on assignment.
Before the D3 Nikon had a very small share of the market now it is 30% / 60% to Canon so what you may say is true.
You need to provide a link to these figures.
I've seen numbers showing Nikon at 43.5% market share and Canon at 41.5 % market share with all the others: Pentax, Olympus Sony, et al splitting the remaining 15%.

Before the D3 Nikon had a very small share of the market now it is 30% / 60% to Canon so what you may say is true.
I've seen numbers showing Nikon at 43.5% market share and Canon at 41.5 % market share with all the others: Pentax, Olympus Sony, et al splitting the remaining 15%.

What link do you have for those numbers? ;)

What link do you have for those numbers? ;)
My point exactly.

Are we speaking of Japan, the US, Worldwide? No, none of those qualifiers were given.

Without a way to measure verasity of the figures or the context, the numbers are meaningless.

I would also like to add some anecdotal evidence in that at the Formula D drifting event I was at yesterday, I saw maybe 50/50 distribution up in the stands. However, in the media press area (and those with the yellow media vests), it was more like 80/20 in favor of Canon. Again, maybe not so important in the grand scheme of things, but it was definitely something I noticed. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back