Which camera should I buy

dsleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to all!

I've been planning on buying my first DSLR for a while now, but since I'm on a tight budget I don't have many options to chose from.
Through some research I've narrowed my choices to the 3 "packs" I've listed bellow. I'd like to know which option should I go with and why.
(I was previously set on the 1300D but I found that it's ISO range is half the 100D and 700D and I would need the camera for some low light and night photography).

Canon 700D
  • Body
  • F-S18-55IS STM
  • Camera backpack
  • 16Gb SD
  • 500€
Canon 1300D
  • Body
  • F-S18-55IS STM
  • Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
  • Camera bag
  • 8Gb SD
  • 468€
Canon 100D
  • Body
  • Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
  • Camera bag
  • 16Gb SD
  • 478€
Thanks!

Spend your money on glass and editing software. And memory. :)

What are your priorities? Do you know if the other cameras can even produce usable images at twice the ISO at the 1300? ISO 12800 is PLENTY....My camera tops at about ISO3200. (shrug). Glass, Processing Power/lessons, and practice.

Out of these 3 on your list get the Canon 700D which is pretty modern good camera.
I would not recommend any other camera from your list as its using very old sensors in it and are just inferior to other cameras in its price range.

Another camera which you might consider is the Nikon D3300, it has top notch sensor in it offering good low light performance and good dynamic range.

Hello to all!

I've been planning on buying my first DSLR for a while now, but since I'm on a tight budget I don't have many options to chose from.
Through some research I've narrowed my choices to the 3 "packs" I've listed bellow. I'd like to know which option should I go with and why.
(I was previously set on the 1300D but I found that it's ISO range is half the 100D and 700D and I would need the camera for some low light and night photography).

Canon 700D
  • Body
  • F-S18-55IS STM
  • Camera backpack
  • 16Gb SD
  • 500€
Canon 1300D
  • Body
  • F-S18-55IS STM
  • Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
  • Camera bag
  • 8Gb SD
  • 468€
Canon 100D
  • Body
  • Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
  • Camera bag
  • 16Gb SD
  • 478€
Thanks!

I'd pick the 750D or 800D - "top notch" sensor (leader in it's 'class') better image quality, etc
or consider a mirrorless camera - smaller, lighter and can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

What are your priorities? Do you know if the other cameras can even produce usable images at twice the ISO at the 1300? ISO 12800 is PLENTY....My camera tops at about ISO3200. (shrug). Glass, Processing Power/lessons, and practice.
Out of these 3 on your list get the Canon 700D which is pretty modern good camera.
I would not recommend any other camera from your list as its using very old sensors in it and are just inferior to other cameras in its price range.

Another camera which you might consider is the Nikon D3300, it has top notch sensor in it offering good low light performance and good dynamic range.

You're both kind of giving me mixed signals here... :\

I'd pick the 750D or 800D - "top notch" sensor (leader in it's 'class') better image quality, etc
or consider a mirrorless camera - smaller, lighter and can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Those 2 cameras are way out of my budget :|

You're both kind of giving me mixed signals here... :\

Perhaps because we are different people? Best money is spent on technique-enhancement, and glass. The ISO range you crave may not even be useful to you - probably best to see examples of full size or 100% crop at whatever ISOs these cameras are capable of. I'm saying my Canon tops out at ISO3200 and it works fine for me.

Read that - which is especially why i gave the advise I gave. Makes more sense to buy quality glass over the camera body features/functions - and learn to process. That's where new photographers will make hay.
Excellent! She can peep through the quality glass and draw what she sees. Why didn't I think of that?

Read that - which is especially why i gave the advise I gave. Makes more sense to buy quality glass over the camera body features/functions - and learn to process. That's where new photographers will make hay.
Excellent! She can peep through the quality glass and draw what she sees. Why didn't I think of that?

Don't argue because of me, I'll just flip a coin or whatever.
(I'm a guy, btw =P)

Nikon D3300 + 18-55mm VR AF-P lens is a solid,solid imager with class-leading sensor performance, and is sold kitted at low,low prices from multiple big-box retailers,places like B&H Photo, Adorama camera, BestBuiy, Target, and Walmart. As to Canon cameras....go to DxO Mark.com and look foir the model with a SOLID sensor score, and buy whatever is newer (introduction is listed on DxO mark), and whatveer has a GOOD sensor performance score and is within your price range.

Let me try it a little more simply...

If somebody has money and wants to buy a dslr...okay? follow?
If they have a top price available - say...I don't know...let's go with $1000.

It behooves them to invest their money mostly in glass and processing....because - hang in here - the camera body - most any new dslr camera body - will do just-fine in capturing the image. It's like I scale...that's weighted...

Glass and Processing will produce better photos than a "great"(?) camera body and a kit lens.

I've just purchased my 750D and am quite happy with it, I also considered the 700D which was also to my liking and very capable. The other bodies I'm not too familiar with so can't comment on them.

The 18-55 kit lens really isn't that bad at all and will get you some decent shots but I also purchased the Canon 50mm f1.8 STM since it was dirt cheap. It is a better lens for portraiture and can get you some sharper images but at the expense of lack of zoom (which is liked by some, hated by others).

I can't tell you what to buy but those are my thoughts based on hands on experience with that kit.

Trev

Most reactions

New Topics

Back