Which Camera Strap?

I have 5 of the Op-Tech straps. 3 in TPF flavor and 2 in standard Op-Tech flavor. I also have 2 extra sets of Loop Connectors for them (can order from Op-Tech).

The only daily use camera's I have with a normal supplied strap is my D40x as I don't want the big strap with it. Want it small and easy to pack as possible.

I have 5 of the Op-Tech straps. 3 in TPF flavor and 2 in standard Op-Tech flavor. I also have 2 extra sets of Loop Connectors for them (can order from Op-Tech).

The only daily use camera's I have with a normal supplied strap is my D40x as I don't want the big strap with it. Want it small and easy to pack as possible.
So i'm guessing you really like the op-tech straps and have you recently bought a tpf strap? Are they still available?

So i'm guessing you really like the op-tech straps and have you recently bought a tpf strap? Are they still available?

I believe I last got a TPF version a year ago. Maybe longer. The TPF version was to help for site expenses as far as I know. But since it has been sold and advertisements added. Not sure if they are going through the effort to try and sell branded items still.

As, for the Op-Tech straps. I have yet to have an issue with one. I started with 1 TPF strap to try it out. Then bought 2 more TPF straps later on. Then I liked them so much I ordered 2 more Op-Tech versions for 2 film cameras. I actually need a couple more and would get Op-Tech's again.

My only gripe with the Op/Tech is it is a comfortable camera strap but not a good shoulder strap if I am carrying more than one body. (Same problem with all the standard straps I have tried) That is why have I use both the Op/Tech and the Rapid strap depending on how I am carrying my gear.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try the Lowepro Transporter?

18-2065-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

I don't know if we have any more of the TPF straps, but I have posted the question to those who should know.

I have two of them myself. One is an older model, with a shorter neck pad but still works just fine.

What I really like about them is the double clasps. 90% of the time, I don't use the neck pad and just use the short ends of the strap as a wrist strap. The loose neck pad can then be used as a ring to secure gear or whatever.

Actually, when I do use a neck strap, I take both neck pads and put them on one camera so that the strap is long enough to use across my chest, not just on my shoulder. That way I can easily carry two bodies, one on the chest strap and one in my hand with the wrist strap.

18-2065-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

That is what is on my D700 right now. It is awesome and without it I could not carry that behemoth of a camera. It really does feel like it cuts the weight of the camera in half when hanging from the neck for long periods of time.

The slots for 2 CF cards is very useful and I use it a lot. Saved me many times from running to the bag for CF cards during important moments when I needed them. I wish it had another one on the other side.

Seriously... double thumbs up for this accessory... I would not be without it.

18-2065-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

That is what is on my D700 right now. It is awesome and without it I could not carry that behemoth of a camera. It really does feel like it cuts the weight of the camera in half when hanging from the neck for long periods of time.

The slots for 2 CF cards is very useful and I use it a lot. Saved me many times from running to the bag for CF cards during important moments when I needed them. I wish it had another one on the other side.

How long is this strap? Is it long enough that the camera can hand around the thigh area? Thanks everyone!

18-2065-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

How long is this strap? Is it long enough that the camera can hand around the thigh area? Thanks everyone!

About 40" so a hanging length of 20" . It wont hang around my thigh but I'm a big guy.

I dont know the difference between the transporter and Voyager C (the one I personally have) They seem to look the same expect for a slight change in the padding.

Zach

I never thought 2 pages of strap discussion would be interesting!

I'll tell you what I think of my strap. It's a Tamron neoprene strap that is removable. I can't find it online to show you, but I like that it has a little bounce. that makes the camera feel much lighter. It's also very soft. The down side is that it doesn't have a rubber coating to keep it from slipping off of your shoulder. The included Nikon strap was terrible.

I really liked that Quickdraw video posted in this thread. I might give one of those a try.

~Jay

I never thought 2 pages of strap discussion would be interesting!

I'll second that emotion! :D

Since my DSLR is permanently attached to a tripod in my studio for the time being, the Canon strap is still in the box.

With my film bodies I used common black cotton web type straps which worked just great for me for more than two decades. What I liked about them besides their width (comfort) is their level of adjustability. With 3 bodies on me, I could strap one around my neck, one across my chest and the 3rd and most used one on my shoulder.

My humble opinion on your three choices:

SLR-CLASSIC: UPstrap Rubber and me don't get along. Even through a shirt, it irritates my skin. The pad doesn't seem that big so if you want to hang your camera from your body a different way from the usual, you have to move it along the strap. If it is too easy to move, it means it would probably move when you don't want it too.

RS-4 R-Strap » BlackRapid.com That is an interesting idea. Wonder how it feels in actual use. I also think I would have a tendency to hand the camera in such a way that the lens would face back.

Pro & Pro Loop Strap | Demo Page I have a serious problem with that one because I have had a set of those plastic snap connectors break on me. Plastic does not age well and there can also be manufacturing problems that make them fragile which was my case, only 6 month old. Thank God it was not a camera. But it was enough of a major problem that I will not trust one of those again.

I guess I would go with the BlackRapid. And, compared to the one that someone else gave you a link to, I like the fact that it attaches to the bottom of the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back