Which camera to buy for large oil murals?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Silverknite, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Silverknite

Silverknite TPF Noob!

Now that is some very useful info I didn't have and now do :)

Thank you.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

The continuous lights are a little more to deal with. They can work if you have enough room. They don't have a lot of power adjustments. So, instead they need to be moved in and out. I don't have any continuous lights so can' give much advice on them. Pretty sure the buttons on the back just turn bulbs off and on. Not sure if the soft boxes will give even illumination with bulbs turned off.

But with it being Amazon. If they don't work, you can return them within their return period.

3. Silverknite

Silverknite TPF Noob!

4. Silverknite

Silverknite TPF Noob!

I received the camera, monotight and softboxes today and just found out the Neweer SK300 don't have the option to stay on like the other monolights I was looking at.

It was my bad for not seeing it was a strobe flash.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. benhasajeep

Being Amazon you can send them back. But in the long run they will probably serve you better if they last.

6. Silverknite

Silverknite TPF Noob!

Had a question...I was just opening up the NEF(RAW) + JPEG Fine on photoshop and just noticed something with one of the lenses I'm using. The JPEG Fine comes out without distortion (meaning the image appears flat on the monitor and all the RAW files have a significant bend from the lens I'm assuming....is it a setting I dont have right on the camera?

I'm currently using the 18-55mm lens.

7. benhasajeep

The camera is applying some correction when it saves the file in jpeg. With raw you use the post processing to correct.

8. Silverknite

Silverknite TPF Noob!

Thank you but I'm not familiar with how to post process images. Could you elaborate please?

9. benhasajeep

Post processing is when you work on the photos that come out of the camera. JPEG pictures are basically processed in the camera according to its programming. Yes, you can make changes to JPEGs. But the camera has already done quite a bit for what it thinks (programmed) is right.

Raw files are exactly just like raw meat. You have done nothing too it yet. The camera gives you the raw slab. You use photo processing program to prepare and finish it. Depending on how you process / cook it. Is how it comes out when your done.

I suggest you do a search on google or even youtube on raw photography. Whole chapters in books are written on it. But a quick youtube will give you a good start on the advantages of using RAW pictures.