Which camera? Under 300 USD

Class Aqua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Can anyone suggest the good choice for less than 300 USD? I am not expecting the miracle, just decent stuff.

My requirements are:

- no noise when taking photos inside, with an artificial light source (chandelier, table lamps).
- relatively easy to use as workers are women, not familiar with an electronic stuff.

Thank you!

I have no idea what "easy to use" constitutes with a camera. Almost all cameras have a green mode. Otherwise you need to know: on/off switch, shutter release, and handling battery / memory card.

Well, the camera that comes closest to your demands is probably the Ricoh GR. A relatively large sensor, a relatively bright prime lens, and a used price of around $400 right now. An extreme bargain considering how great this camera is, with very high image quality and very good user interface. But its not inside your budget.

Other than that theres the original Fuji X100. Dont know its used prices. Very beautiful camera, famous for good image quality, large sensor, bright prime (even brigther than the Ricoh GR) and IIRC a very good builtin flash (but remember such a flash wont have much power, so depending upon what you do it might be useless). No green auto mode though, even if the user interface is simple enough - instead of the green mode, you have to put a couple sliders on red "A" (for auto) position.

This camera is compact, has a large aperture (f/1.8), low noise with low light/high ISO. You would be buying reconditioned, directly from Nikon. $200. I have seen pics from this camera and it was excellent in less than desirable lighting conditions.
Nikon COOLPIX P330 Digital Camera

- no noise when taking photos inside, with an artificial light source (chandelier, table lamps).

This doesn't exist with your budget. In fact it doesn't exist at all. Perhaps you need to concentrate on less noise rather than no noise. If you want above average low light performance you need to look at large, current technology sensors. These cameras are in the 4 digit range.

Yes, all cameras have noise. Even a medium format camera at base ISO. I assumed though the OP was talking about "no strong visible noise" and thus I went large sensor, bright prime lens compacts.

This doesn't exist with your budget. In fact it doesn't exist at all. Perhaps you need to concentrate on less noise rather than no noise. If you want above average low light performance you need to look at large, current technology sensors. These cameras are in the 4 digit range.
That one I posted is pretty darn excellent in low light, price is right too. Just saying....

That one I posted is pretty darn excellent in low light, price is right too. Just saying....

Indeed. But not noise free. He said he wanted noise free.

Indeed. But not noise free. He said he wanted noise free.

absolutely noise free ? simple - use a software program like Topaz, neat image, etc.

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Use a film camera. Absolutely "Noise" free, guaranteed.

Thanks for the answer, Guys.

I mentioned I am completely `newbie` in the business, didn`t I? Anyway, I can understand I can`t get the photos without any noise. My goal is to have a possibility to do something in Photoshop, for example increase the brightness/exposure and not receiving the white parts/blue channel looked like a random stoke`s festival.

Please look at the photos which is my goal and the photos which I could receive from our current old compact camera and tell me changing to which equipment may give me similar results.
BTW, after digging into the forums, articles, blogs I have decided to increase my budget for camera and other stuff up to 800 - 900 USD.

#mai_shinma • Instagram photos and videos
Le'a Loves (@lea_loves33) • Instagram photos and videos

B

It makes it more difficult as you have put some bits of information in three different threads. To give good results you should think about how you can improve the lighting. If you can have similar lighting for every photo it will help when you put a bunch of shots next to each other - they will all have similar colors.

Any entry level DSLR is a step up from your P&S camera. You could probably start with the 55-300G lens to see if that works, it gives a 1:3.6 magnification at 1.4 meters from the subject. That with a D3300 and a flash is probably around your budget. An off-camera flash with a radio trigger and umbrella would probably work. Probably need to keep the flash level down if your subjects are holding their eyes open.

I use my 70-300G VR and while it is a bit soft at 300mm it gives decent results, especially if you can go to f/8. This lens has a magnification of 1:4 at 1.4 meter distance from subject. A bit more expensive but worth it.

Probably next up in price is the Tamron 180mm macro lens, still under $1000. Anything else is over $1000 for the lens. Any lens shorter than this and you are going to be less than a meter from the subject.

All these are guaranteed to be easy to use for women.:crushed:

Dave, thank you.

I think you are correct, I have posted in three threads. The reason is I had no idea where my case would suit best.
I could realize the bigger problem is the light. At our salon we have a chandelier, some small lamps with very war light and the only one window is oriented to the south-west and covered by Anti UV curtain.

What is more, the customer can not be asked for moving around the salon in the pursue of correct light. Actually, we are allowed to take photo when they are still lying down on the bed or just after that, when sitting. There is not a problem to come close to them, before we were using the cosmetical ring light as a light source, which required as close distance as 10-15 cm. No one felt uncomfortable, so I would not worry about breaking the `personal zone`.

Also, often there are two customer at the salon in the same time, so equipment should be fast and easy to set up. But if you think it might improve the quality and lightness of photos, I may consider it.

I was also searching the informations about an extra light mounted to the top of the camera or ring lights. What do you think, does it make sense?

Thank you
Tomas

Used D90 and 50mm f1.8D. Save for some lighting.

The Sony A6000 is a good mirrorless camera, with low noise in

It has a good auto mode, so it's easy to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back