which camera would you recommend?

meatball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, sorry if this isnt the best place on the forum to ask this but i need some help picking my first DSLR.

I have narrowed it down to 4 at the moment, the Sony Alpha a500, the Pentax K-x, the Nikon D5000 and the Canon EOS 450D or that might be the Canon Rebel XSi for some of you.

I will be doing mostly street photography so the Sony came highly recommended as its live view allows it to be used as a fancy point and shoot camera, so i think that is my favorite at the moment, but can it be used as a proper DSLR as well as a fancy point and shoot?

also, i know Nikon and Canon have a lot more accessories as they are the biggest brands but please leave that out of the picture, would you help me find the best camera for itself, not for the range of lenses etc...

I have picked up each camera and think the Pentax felt the best in my hands but is also the least popular make out of the 4.

Well and help would be great and much appreciated, thanks

I know the d5000 has live view as well, not too sure about the other cameras. But if you're wanting to take high/low shots then the rotating screen on the d5000 with help. It can also be used as a 'full fledged' DSLR. Also guy, most DSLRs have live view by now. lol

I will be doing mostly street photography so the Sony came highly recommended as its live view allows it to be used as a fancy point and shoot camera, so i think that is my favorite at the moment, but can it be used as a proper DSLR as well as a fancy point and shoot?

What do you mean, can it be used as a proper DSLR and a fancy P&S? It's always going to act like a DSLR. There's not a "zoom" button, there's dedicated aperture/exposure control, etc. If you go around shooting on full automatic like a P&S you are not going to get the most out of the SLR. Especially if you are doing street photography.

What do you mean, can it be used as a proper DSLR and a fancy P&S? It's always going to act like a DSLR. There's not a "zoom" button, there's dedicated aperture/exposure control, etc. If you go around shooting on full automatic like a P&S you are not going to get the most out of the SLR. Especially if you are doing street photography.

Pretty sure he means just have it on auto and live view and not need to know how to do anything.

Stick to Nikon or canon! Nikon D5000 is one of the better choices you have up there

You say not to mention accessories or lenses, but the lenses are as important as the camera, so yea Nikon or Canon. I recently got myself the canon t1i, and am pretty impressed with it so far. I liked the form factor vs the d5000, and the video was said to be better, neither did I want a swinging screen. I've read through a million reviews, and they all say the same about the t1i and d5000 being practically equal in performance.

You say not to mention accessories or lenses, but the lenses are as important as the camera, so yea Nikon or Canon. I recently got myself the canon t1i, and am pretty impressed with it so far. I liked the form factor vs the d5000, and the video was said to be better, neither did I want a swinging screen. I've read through a million reviews, and they all say the same about the t1i and d5000 being practically equal in performance.

My decision came down to the same thing lol. But I liked the swivel screen cause I liked the ability to high high and low shots. Just yesterday I used it to take a picture of a sea lion over the glass "shield" so it would be a better pic. Yeah I haven't used to video mode yet and don't plan to lol another reason I got the d5000.

Check out this camera! They have it at a great price right now and they are including a water proof case!
TJ

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out this camera! They have it at a great price right now and they are including a water proof case!
TJ

Wow.... way to be a prick lol but still... hilarious :lmao:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Leica and Hasselblad don't suck, y'know!!! :D

I've heard nothing but great things about the Nikon D5000. I have a D50, a four year old camera, and was considering upgrading to something like the D5000 or the D90.

Go to the stores and take a few photos and try change a few setting see which one feels better FOR YOU.

Stick with the big brands and you can't go wrong, its all down to personal choice and what funtion you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back