which camera?

deathscamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which camera do you guys believe would be better for a guy who wants to shoot action and nature photography?
canon eos rebel t2 or a minolta maxxum 400si? also what size lense should i get?

Honestly any camera would do. More modern cameras you've got your programming and older cameras , newer ones as well, you've got your COMPLETE CONTROL. I would suggest a lens though. Find something in the 28-200 range. UBER ZOOM. You've got your wide for landscapes (zoom for isolating a subject as well), your midrange for good portraiture and your tele to isolate action when you aren't right on top of it.

Honestly any camera would do. More modern cameras you've got your programming and older cameras , newer ones as well, you've got your COMPLETE CONTROL. I would suggest a lens though. Find something in the 28-200 range. UBER ZOOM. You've got your wide for landscapes (zoom for isolating a subject as well), your midrange for good portraiture and your tele to isolate action when you aren't right on top of it.

Just something to consider: If you're okay with manual focus, a K-mount camera (Ricoh, Pentax, some Cosina, others) will give you access to an insane amount of inexpensive glass. I just scored a 28-135 for less than $30. It's manual focus and the optics are a dice roll (if I were more knowledgeable about old lenses I'd know what's trash and what's decent), but it sure is fun.

The first film camera I used was a Nikon N75, which is a modern mid-level 35mm SLR. I ended up shooting mostly aperture priority and took some fairly decent shots, but I just didn't do much for me. I ended up going right back to my digital when it was fixed. A few months later, I scored a Ricoh KR-5 Super II , which is a fully manual SLR from the early eighties. I just wanted it because it came with a fast 50mm lens that would work with my digital SLR body, but I put a roll in it to test it and I've been having so much fun that my digital is starting to feel neglected. Older manual SLRs are every bit as capable (in fact, the Ricoh lets me set the ASA/ISO, which the Nikon didn't), but simply lack the automatic modes. For me, a manual camera is way more fun. Factor in the fact that the Ricoh in 9.5/10 condition and a nice 50mm lens cost me $21 and you've got a winner. Spend a little more (maybe $50) and you can get something like a Pentax MX, which is a pro-level manual SLR body that is every bit as capable as that Canon or Minolta, just not automatic.

Update: The 28-135mm Vivitar had some serious Fungus Amongus and in attempting to access the front element it exploded in my hands. Literally.

Remember what I said about dice roll? Also, I am an idiot.

Update: The 28-135mm Vivitar had some serious Fungus Amongus and in attempting to access the front element it exploded in my hands. Literally.

Remember what I said about dice roll? Also, I am an idiot.

Friggen ouch, If memory serves me correctly Vivitar lenses have some of the easyest to access front elements made, what went wrong?

The first film camera I used was a Nikon N75, which is a modern mid-level 35mm SLR.
That's actually pretty low level. Mid level for the time would be the N90 or F100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back