Which camera?

Azmic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this is the Q&A but feel it would be better here. Hey guys I'm new to this site and hope to be active. I'm new to dslrs and hoping to get one soon. I've been looking at 2 cameras lately. The cameras I'm looking at are the Nikon D3000 and the Canon rebel Xs/1000D. They're alike in alot of ways but they both have their differences. One of my brothers also says that Nikon cameras are better but my other brother has a canon dslr. I was just wondering if you could help me choose which one. (oh yea and if I choose the Rebel Xs I can get it for 100 off on amazon haha).

Canon! Just because I like Canon and you dont have to worry about which nikon lenses will focus on which body. But I really know nothing about Nikon. Im sure either will be fine, I have a rebel xt and Im very happy.

when you say "looking", is this on the internet or in a store?

i would suggest you go into a camera store and handle both and see which feels the best in your hands. Both will take fine images if you make the correct decisions.

I posted this is the Q&A but feel it would be better here. Hey guys I'm new to this site and hope to be active. I'm new to dslrs and hoping to get one soon. I've been looking at 2 cameras lately. The cameras I'm looking at are the Nikon D3000 and the Canon rebel Xs/1000D. They're alike in alot of ways but they both have their differences. One of my brothers also says that Nikon cameras are better but my other brother has a canon dslr. I was just wondering if you could help me choose which one. (oh yea and if I choose the Rebel Xs I can get it for 100 off on amazon haha).

Without starting a camera brand war, I'd say I think you'll be satisfied with either. To be honest, when I decided on my first DSLR, I just picked the one that had the best price at the time in the product range I was looking to stay in (Canon XTi). From what I've read, both companies make exceptional products. There really aren't any features or accessories that one or the other provides an advantage for. There may be preferences to software, individual camera function, small camera features (button placement), etc., but how is a newbie supposed to choose that way? You'd have to buy both and choose between the two which of course is unrealistic. :lol: You might be lucky enough to know someone with both brands - borrow each for a few shots and see which one you like best.

If it's any consolation, I have Canon equipment now and have had for the past three years. I find no reason to go to Nikon, and I probably never will. However, if I would have chosen Nikon I'd probably feel the same way about Canon. There are so many options - just choose a final spending price and see which one you can get closer to that price and get it. Unless something REALLY turns you off about it (customer service, software, etc), you'll probably stick with that brand.

Matt

Canon is infinitely better than any brand out there except for maybe Hasselblad.

But a used 40D. Obey me.

Thanks, bye.

People will generally tell you to get what they have, so asking which brand is really pointless.

Like I said in your other thread you started about this, pick them up and see which one feels the best - the picture quality will be there regardless. However the quality of the photos themselves will be in your hands.

Canons are all toys unless you break the $1300 barrier.

Nikon makes the best entry level cameras.

Pro models are all the same.

It's all about the lenses bro.

Ahh so many opinions! Lol I should have thought before posting

Ahh so many opinions! Lol I should have thought before posting

hehe, thats usually a good idea. :lmao:

I went with Canon over Nikon because I knew people who had good Canon lenses and could borrow some from them. Lenses are more important than a camera body and worthy of a much bigger investment. So it was either get Nikon and use entry level lenses with my entry level body, or go Canon and use my entry level body with some L lenses.

Either brand is a good brand.

Head to the store, hold the cameras, take some test shots and play with the menus. Based on which feels the best in your hand, buy it. End of story. Don't get all swamped in the tech details of the entry level cameras if they are similar.

People today have a need to always have the best tech out there. I know some awesome photographers who still shoot with older equipement, such as a Canon 20D or even and XTI, and produce GREAT results

I have used both. I have handled both (A friends Nikon D90 and Canon Xs). I made the decision to buy the Canon Xs. Nikon, to me, was very utility. The colors didn't make me jump up and down, the camera itself didn't make me jump up and down. The canon felt better to hold, the colors are more rich....and I just prefer the canon. You will have to play with both to decide better. Go into a Best Buy and take pics with all the Nikons and then the Canons. (yes they have DSLRs) You will feel which one you like best.

i would suggest you go into a camera store and handle both and see which feels the best in your hands. Both will take fine images if you make the correct decisions.

Absolutely!

One additional comment. Bear in mind that the store clerk probably works on commission. It's not really ethical to spend his/her time and then make your purchase on the web.

Absolutely!

One additional comment. Bear in mind that the store clerk probably works on commission. It's not really ethical to spend his/her time and then make your purchase on the web.

I somewhat agree, it depends on the service you get. Many big box stores have clerks that are just trying to sell you something, which may or may not be the right one for you. If you get good service, I agree, it would be good to buy from the clerk.

And remember that many stores will price match an advertised online price. They are also more open to dealing with you, getting extras added in. When I bought my XSI (body only), I ended up having him throw in 2 class 4 4gb memory cards at no charge. I think at the time they were about $30 a piece.

camera store, not a just a clerk store.

I just felt a connection when holding my 40D in Jessops... plus they gave me a price match so I got a discount :lmao:I wouldn't convert to Nikon... I guess it's just what you've been "brought up" with.

P.S canon rules :lol:

Canons are all toys unless you break the $1300 barrier.

Nikon makes the best entry level cameras.

Pro models are all the same.

It's all about the lenses bro.
Pure, unadulterated silliness without an ounce of fact to back it up.

Except for the comment about the lenses. You're right, lenses to make the camera for the most part. That's another reason I roll with Canon.

Most reactions

Back