Which Canon/Nikon is right for me?

psreilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting tired of my current camera, a Hasselblad H1. It's a great camera, but it's not exactly what one would call versatile. It's clunky, heavy and not using a tripod with it would scare the hell out of me. Anyway, i've been really out of the loop with Canon and Nikon over the past year and I know there always updating. So for someone who works mostly in a studio, does editorial/portrait work but at times will venture outside for the same type of work. What camera would suit me?

Budget, probably nothing over 3 thousand including at least one lense

Honestly I'd start with the lenses and work from there. Both brands do well and if you're studio based most of the time then you're likely controlling most of the light so super high ISO capabilities might not be very important to you; which further evens the playing field (at present most agree that Nikon has the better sensors in terms of noise performance - overall).

So have a think as to if there are any special lenses in each range that you would like to get your hands on; any that really stand out - or get more specific with your style and situation so that we might suggest niche/good quality lenses in each range that would suit.

That way you can build toward a system not just a camera body.

99% agree with Overread. The 1% would be to check out the different models by each maker. Sometimes, the feel in your hand may sway you or the look and feel of the menu system may sway you.

Good luck.

My recommendation is Nikon D750 with Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC thats around 3000$

For you and your needs and the price range this is the best camera.
Its got amazing AF system
Excellent sensor, has excellent low light performance, excellent dynamic range and shadow recovery.
24MP should be more then enough for all your needs.
The tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC a good lens, in most cases I might recommend the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G but that will push you out of the price you mentioned and the Tamron is very close to the Nikon lens and has vibration control as a nice bonus.

What's been your preferred lens on the Hassie?

Also, with your budget and the desire to go lightweight, I wouldn't immediately rule out the Sony A7R or A7II.

Otherwise, Canon don't currently have any sensors that come close to the resolution of the Hasselblad - if you've been used to the huge medium format images that may be an issue for you. Nikon and Sony both have 36 megapixel models.

Sony A7r would be my choice iq as good if not better than Canon and Nikon and cheaper I wouldn't be surprised if there is an adapter to use some lenses you already have

3000 pounds or dollars? Seems that the Nikon d800/800E/810 or maybe Sony's a7r are chosen by bigger format users as an ok compramise. Nikon obviously is better established and likely a better all around camera

3000 pounds or dollars? Seems that the Nikon d800/800E/810 or maybe Sony's a7r are chosen by bigger format users as an ok compramise. Nikon obviously is better established and likely a better all around camera
You can't do this with a D800
Ultimate Guide to Sony A7 / A7R Lens Mount Adapters - Part 2

Your right but I'd imagine it's a niche anyway. For me Nikon, Canon or Olympus probably make enough lenses that I don't need other brands, but if that's your thing Sony is your camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back