Which computer for me?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at Acer's computers. (Desktops). I came across this one. What do you guys think?
I wont be doing any gaming. Just Online browsing/email/photoshop CS3/Lightroom/Music/Pictures...

I only want an Acer, Gateway, emachines, etc... Maybe HP, No compaq...

$499 (w/o monitor)
Acer Aspire AM5641-U5520A
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200
500GB Hard Drive
4GB DDR2 memory
Windows Vista Home Premium
DVD/CD Burner
NVIDIA GeForce 7100

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...5641-U5520A&searchSection=All&go.x=19&go.y=14

yeah thats freaking cheap! lol I believe it would be even cheaper if you just buy components and assemble a computer yourself. its not hard, kinda like playing with Lego lol

Builddd! You would probably save $200-300 if you buy the parts separately and build yourself than from buying off of best buy or circuit city. It's not as complicated as you think at all, just matching colors with colors.

If you MUST buy (which I strongly recommend you don't), look at www.newegg.com. It's the best website for electronics and their prices are great. I purchased my 22' Acer and saved $150 compared to best buy and circuit city's prices.

No, you'll pay more than $500 for:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200
500GB Hard Drive
4GB DDR2 memory
Windows Vista Home Premium
DVD/CD Burner
NVIDIA GeForce 7100
MB + PSU + Case + Mouse + KB

If you buy parts. But you'll end up with quality parts individually warranteed whereas the Acer is using the cheapest bulk parts possible. Usually these "good deals" are limited in expandability. Like if you add a better graphics card you blow up your PSU or the MB can't handle 2gb memory modules, or adding a second HDD overheats both and the drives die prematurely, etc.. I'm not dogging the deal - if you don't upgrade anything too much they're great! And at that price when you do need 2gb memory modules, a second HDD, or a faster GFX card just buy a whole new system with the same kind of pricing that have those parts.

You can usually save $50~$100 by selecting Linux over Windoze tho. ;)

hehe didnt know that one.

well last time I heard Linux may be a freeware or whatever but there aren't as many softwares made for it as it does for windows. I think thats the main reason why Mac and its Mac OS were never really popular among regular users and gamers ^^ if you dont want to spend 100 dollars on a legal copy you can always do it the illegal way not that I am suggesting lol its like everybody here in Sweden do that so why the hell wouldn't I

Builddd! You would probably save $200-300 if you buy the parts separately and build yourself than from buying off of best buy or circuit city. It's not as complicated as you think at all, just matching colors with colors.

:roll:

...typical internet 1337 advice, given by kids who place no value whatsoever on the time invested. If someone who doesn't regularly assemble computers sits down to put one together, you can assume AT LEAST 10 hours, and that's before installing the OS and mission-critical software. My free time is worth AT LEAST $50 an hour.

And it NEVER works the first time you have it all put together...

And it doesn't have a warranty - doesn't matter how good the warranty is on a component - if you can't use the system while it's being replaced you're SOL.

But sure, go ahead, build it yourself.

Buy a Dell, get the full replacement and on-site policy. Spend your free time on photography.

Or get one of those Macs - they're really pretty, and you can get one of those cool Apple stickers so everyone knows you have an Apple, and whatever that may say about you.

hehe didnt know that one.

well last time I heard Linux may be a freeware or whatever but there aren't as many softwares made for it as it does for windows. I think thats the main reason why Mac and its Mac OS were never really popular among regular users and gamers ^^ if you dont want to spend 100 dollars on a legal copy you can always do it the illegal way not that I am suggesting lol its like everybody here in Sweden do that so why the hell wouldn't I

There's a utility in Linux called WINE that will run just about every windows application. Last time I checked it ran Photoshop just fine. It runs heavy duty 3D apps just fine too - which is what I use it for. There's also GIMP and FILM-GIMP which do everything PS does. Really there's no software lacking on Linux. I hate installing Linux but if you're buying the machine with that option it's pre-installed for you. ;)

Here's WINE running PS:

Click to visit WINE HQ​

BTW, WINE runs these apps usually faster than windows is capable of running them given the same hardware so you get a little speed boost out of it too. ;) A nice added bonus.

Last edited:
uh it took me less than an hour to the last time I put my current one together... and before that I have only done it like once. well ok two hours including installing Windows XP sp2 and 3 hours including installing all the other apps. but of course some people may know like absolutely nothing about computers and dont even know what a CPU looks like then it would probably take 10 hrs+

well lol I am a very stubborn person so if I have never liked Linux then I will never like it unless they give me money to use it :D :p

It's not a case of being able to put it together or not. Things often go in only one way and come with a manual. But being able to debug the process is quite the different story. How many people's grandmothers who could also do the does the square fit in the circle puzzle, know how to clear the BIOS when you change a setting it doesn't agree with. Actually how many of these people know what a BIOS is.

With the cost of assembly comes the cost of the setup too. That is often more valuable and harder, especially if two components don't agree with each other.

Bifrucator you know wine runs Adobe Photoshop CS2 as well ;)

:roll:

...typical internet 1337 advice, given by kids who place no value whatsoever on the time invested. If someone who doesn't regularly assemble computers sits down to put one together, you can assume AT LEAST 10 hours, and that's before installing the OS and mission-critical software. My free time is worth AT LEAST $50 an hour.

And it NEVER works the first time you have it all put together...

:thumbup:

Yup.... I too was in that boat but when I actually grew up, work jobs, and had a family I quickly learned that [ TIME == Money ]. In high school, you have all the time in the world for interests at the expense of parental support. In college, everyone thought they were busy. Post-graduation, you learn what the meaning "busy" really means.

Is it really just putting pieces together? I read somewhere someone putting a type of glue down when putting the heat sink on top of the CPU. I know where the parts go, I dont always know where the power cables and other little cables go :p. Not to mention what I do after everything is plugged in...Something in BIOS perhaps?

Is the version of vista, that your new computer coming with, a 64bit OS. The only reason I think so, is that I believe that is the only version of vista that can recognize 4gb of RAM. If so you might want to make sure that your version of CS3 is compatible, I can see problems arising from this.

Most reactions

Back