Which crop for this actor in Jamestown VA

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I visited Jamestown today (at midday DOH!) and I was taking pictures like any tourist....

This is my favourite shot of the day, I love the man's expression. I am undecided how o crop this photo, these below are what I think would look good. I have still to do the rest of the editing (cloning sharpening straightening etc)

What do you think works best, or do you have a better suggestion?

This is the original, I used my Canon 30d and 50mm f1.8 (here for large)
2522596248_d816669e7c.jpg

I love his expression
2521773091_9a97235673.jpg

2521772641_da5af83e99.jpg

2521772527_977e531f96.jpg

The second edit...#3!

Ok thanks 3 I think it is then, does he need straightening or do you think because his gun is at an angle it makes him look crooked?

not really, but looks ALOT like him LOL

I guess it could be my dad...I dont know where he is. But he hates to work so I dont think it is

This isnt about the crop but i just went back and looked at your EXIF data. It says you were shooting at f/2 which in my mind is definetly not that good. If you had enough light to shoot at 1/3200@iso100 then you should be shooting at a smaller aperture to get a sharper image. Its nice to have nice fast primes but that certainly does not mean that you need to be shooting that fast.

^^ to JimmyO.

And #1 to me is the best of the bunch. I don't know how I'd crop it to make it better, but it needs some kind of cropping.

This isnt about the crop but i just went back and looked at your EXIF data. It says you were shooting at f/2 which in my mind is definetly not that good. If you had enough light to shoot at 1/3200@iso100 then you should be shooting at a smaller aperture to get a sharper image. Its nice to have nice fast primes but that certainly does not mean that you need to be shooting that fast.

Perhaps she was shooting for a nice bokeh. And I think the sharpness is fine as long as you don't crop it to unreasonable amounts.

I like #3 the best..

It was just a general tip. Actually when i first looked at it the IQ looked really bad (no offence) and i thought you were shooting at a high iso but turns out that wasnt the case.

Tips and help always welcome!!!!!! thanks

I like to have a brokeh'd background so I was aiming for that, I think its because I am new to DSLR photography and im a bit obsessed :blulsh2: with the blurry back grounds. So maybe next time I will try to remember to force my self to try something different!

Emerana- I lol'd at you, he did seem kinda Grumpy fatherly like, like my dad too in act but not appearance.

Tips and help always welcome!!!!!! thanks

I like to have a brokeh'd background so I was aiming for that, I think its because I am new to DSLR photography and im a bit obsessed :blulsh2: with the blurry back grounds. So maybe next time I will try to remember to force my self to try something different!

Emerana- I lol'd at you, he did seem kinda Grumpy fatherly like, like my dad too in act but not appearance.

Remember you can achieve bokah with fstops higher than 2. 5.6 would have been a good choice here!~:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back