Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An image captured while covering the dedication of the Afghan War Memorial in Victoria today. The top image was my original edit, the lower an alternate version. How say you as to the version with more impact?
Afghan_Mem%20(3).jpg

Original

_DSC6259A_WEB.jpg

Alternate
URL]

The first photo is my choice here because the kilt and sporran(?) seem important to the uniform and the small tattoo on the man's right hand is a detail that has a story to tell. I also think that the sailors in the background help him stand out more.

I like the 2nd one. It has less distractions from his face. In the first one the thing in the front of the kilt draws the eye.

I much prefer the second one, more in your face initial impact. The first has more to notice for sure, but it distracts from the character in the man’s face.

But then, I always prefer tighter crops on individual people. So YMMV.

I prefer 2 only because the kilt is more implied than shown in #1

Well I think both are quite different. The first for me is more about the context, while the second is more focused on the person. You need to decide what you're trying to emphasise by this picture.

Last edited:
Number one. The guys in the background seem important to the photo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
An important point! I was taught that a photographer is not responsible for just the subject of the photo, (s)he is responsible for the whole image from corner to corner.

Personally, I'm drawn to the second version, but I can't seem to pinpoint a reason.

An important point! I was taught that a photographer is not responsible for just the subject of the photo, (s)he is responsible for the whole image from corner to corner.
Absolutely, 100% true - I just can't decide which responsibility I like better... :(

#2 ... I like the tat and the hand, I think it adds content to the image, but that external cup holder is quite distracting and the tight/closer view of the face more than makes up for the tat and hand. (I'd burn in the shiney parts of the medals a touch.)

Most reactions

Back