Which crop works better?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by (Ghastly) Krueger, May 25, 2007.

1. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi tere

I originally intended to get a macro of a bugambilia, cropped tightly to show only the "petal"'s colour and texture, but once I cropped the edges I think the image loses something... so what is your opinion? Crop tight or leave the corners?

1. Original image:
    [​IMG]

2. Cropped:
    [​IMG]

Also: I think a thin black frame would help the image... does anybody know a free SW that can do it? I tried y! photos, but those frames cut into the image.

Thanks!

2. fairleymac

fairleymac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You haven't just cropped the image, but altered the colours as well. I'd suggest looking into at least Adobe Photoshop Elements (or whatever the "consumer" version is called nowadays...)

PS Elements should at least get you on the right track.

3. New England Moments

New England Moments TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm gonna go on the original here and say that the top part is a bit blown, and lacks color and detail... I guess I would crop about 1/2 way down, where color becomes richer....

These are also a type abstract look where bigger the print the better, as for wall decor.... Color on an abstract look like this is very important to people, if you were trying to sell... on this I have no idea what the natural color is?

4. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NEM: thanks for your comments.

I think the top looks blown because here the leaf is so thin it's a bit translucid... and I shot backlit to show the veins.

It looks softer on the top because of shallow DOF (it's a mcaro)

I'm not trying to sell my images, I'm not good enough... and that is pretty much the natural color, as you can see here.

Thanks