Which deal do I go with?

mckinncm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know nothing about cameras but my daughter is going to be one soon so I figure I need to get a decent camera so when she's grown we actually have pictures of her. I've been doing some research and it seems like the Nikon D3300 and the Pentax K50 may be good options. I know nothing about lenses so I need help as to which direction I should go. Here are links to three bundles I have found. Which way should I go?

Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera 2 Lens Bundle

Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) + Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens + 32GB Memory Card + Camera Case + 52mm & 58mm UV Protector + Accessory Kit:Amazon:Camera & Photo

Pentax K-50 Weatherproof DSLR Camera 2 WR Lens Bundle

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go for the Costco deal, not a bad price and they are not pushing you any crappy equipment and Costco is a solid company to deal with if needed.
The D3300 is also a very good camera.
To that I would recommend adding one more lens Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is around 200$
It will help you when the little one starts running around indoors in not so good lighting conditions.
Its also a good general use lens and good for portraits.

Most important is to learn how to use the camera correctly, not to put it on auto and use it as a big p&s, its a very capable camera but you need to know how to use it to really get the stunning results I am sure you are expecting.

Good luck

Go for the Costco deal, not a bad price and they are not pushing you any crappy equipment and Costco is a solid company to deal with if needed.
The D3300 is also a very good camera.
To that I would recommend adding one more lens Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is around 200$
It will help you when the little one starts running around indoors in not so good lighting conditions.
Its also a good general use lens and good for portraits.

Most important is to learn how to use the camera correctly, not to put it on auto and use it as a big p&s, its a very capable camera but you need to know how to use it to really get the stunning results I am sure you are expecting.

Good luck
I like this deal too.

So you recommend the D3300 deal? The D3300 and K50 are both Costco deals.

I would go for whichever one feels more comfortable to hold. That said, IMO, the Pentax is definitely the better bargain. Pentax has always delivered more bang for the buck than any other camera maker, and while I can't claim familiarity with their digital gear, from what I hear, it's pretty darn good.

So you recommend the D3300 deal? The D3300 and K50 are both Costco deals.
Yes, the D3300 also currently has the best low light performance in Nikon crop sensor line up, about 5% better then the D7100
Its a good little camera.

I would go for the two-lens D3300 deal from Costco.

Based on my experience with the Nikon D3100 (predecessor to the D3300) and both of the lenses that come with it, I would pick the Nikon kit.

However as goodguy mentioned above getting a DSLR camera doesn't automatically guarantee perfect pictures. Whatever you decide to get, do some research online, pick up some books on photography, or take a local photo class to learn how to get the most out of it.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to offer any other ideas as well. I'm not sure if these are more camera than I need. Don't even know if I want to mess around with different lenses. I'm a little young for the Polaroid age but when I think cameras that's kinda what I like...not complicated. I realize that there is so much cameras can do especially if you learn the features. Again, feel free to offer other options.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Sony A6000? Just saw Best Buy has a Black Friday deal.

Earlier today I did a comparison post on the D3300 and the ***lenses*** available for the A600, and available for ALL models of Nikons, from Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. Check my comments here, post #11: First time DSLR Camera shopping | Photography Forum

Bottom line: the Sony is a nice, small camera, sensor is EQUAL to that in the D3300. The Nikon has more lens choices and BETTER zooms available-MANY more lenses, with better optical performance. The Sony does not have many zoom options, and most of them are poor. The good single focal length lenses for the A6000 are expensive, and few in number. The A6000 is basically the NEX-6 lineup's newest progeny, and Sony does not have a very good lens lineup for that series, and neither do the third party lens manufacturers.

Depends what you want and how much money you have. Good luck with the buy!

Thanks for the help. I have a few more hours to make a decision. To the previous post about taking a photography class or picking up a book that's precisely what I don't want to have to do...not trying to be rude. I basically have no interest in anything other than taking family pics.

Any thoughts on the Sony A6000? Just saw Best Buy has a Black Friday deal.
Dont get confused the a6000 will not produce any better pictures unless it too you will take out of the auto mode and know how to truly take good pictures.
A6000 and D3300 both can be used like big point and shoot if you leave them in AUTO mode but the true magic happens when the photographer has good photography skills.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back