Which Diffuser and Bracket?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by BoxPhotographer, Nov 20, 2009.

1. BoxPhotographer

BoxPhotographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Greetings, I'm looking into a diffuser and bracket. I need a diffuser to take pictures of people, in the dark, lots of motion (dancing). But I would also like it to be flexible and take pictures of objects etc as well. I am using a SB 600 speedlight from nikon and I own a D80. Also, I need a flash bracket so which one would be the best for under 200$ (I can be somewhat flexible). I want to able to mount the flash anywhere I want, such as the side of the camera or top. Something that is quick so I can capture what is happening without having to mess around too much with the equipment.

I know I have given little information so please ask me questions for more clarification.

2. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have an earlier version of this and I've been happy with it for some twenty years. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the cable. Again, I have the earlier version of the cable, the SC-17. I've used this combo with several film Nikons as well as my current D80. I don't use a diffuser.

Stroboframe does not have anti-twist brackets for this bracket. I don't know if they're needed with the current version. I solved the problem with some duct tape on carefully chose locations on the bottom of my camera bodies.

3. BoxPhotographer

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The link is giving me an error. The Press-T is a nice bracket because it allows you to hold the camera, rather than the bracket, As for a diffuser, I feel that If you are using a bracket, than it is probably because there is no good way to bounce light, like outdoors or in a very large room, so diffuser end up wasting more light, by shooting it away from the subject, and not really softening the light much. So I would suggest using bare flash or a bouncer, rather than a diffuser, something like a lite-scoop, which you don't really need a bracket if you go that way.

Here is the bracket, There is also a taller version; the "Pro-T
    Stroboframe | Press-T Bracket | 310-810 | B&H Photo Video

Lite-Scoop
    Lite-Scoop Flash Reflector

5. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keep this in mind. Some brackets will not work if you add a battery grip. For example, the stroboframe camera flip will not work with a battery grip.

Do you prefer a bracket that flips the flash or the camera?

6. BoxPhotographer

Photos OK to edit
    How does that bracket work Ryan?

This is the one I am leaning towards:

STROBOFRAME CAMERA FLIP (NEW)

But would a D80 + SB 600 be too heavy for it?

7. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I have an older version of this:

Stroboframe | R4B Rotary-Link Flash Bracket | 300-450 | B&H

It works great... fits a 1dMarkII just fine and with comfort. Mine was found at a garage sale missing the wooden grip that is situated underneath where the lens would be located. it was a simple DIY repair project. (e-gad.. didn't realize how much one was brand new) It had a damaged flash wooden grip too but i just removed it.

I like how it rotates the camera instead of the bracket. I normally don't use a diffuser but experience with the lumniquest was good; mini softbox and ultra soft. The flash is positioned fairly high.

9. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The bracket I linked to is a flash flip rather than a camera flip, this is mainly preferance, the press-t is nice because if you look at the photo, the upright connecting the base to the flash arm is positioned in front of the camera so it does not block your handgrip. so you just hold the camera normally; there is no need to hold the bracket. If you were to use the lite-scoop only, it only uses the flash head to reposition the flash.

The general consensus seems to be that the camera flip style of bracket is more comfortable to use, but you would be better of with advice from someone who has used both.

10. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep the Custom Brackets Folding T bracket in my bag. It works well, but the main advantage is that it folds. Stroboframe makes one too. It fits in the bottom of my bag and is always there when I need it.

CB Folding-T | Custom Brackets

If I were shooting a full wedding, I would use the custom brackets digital pro M. However, its very expensive for just occaasional use.
    Digital PRO-M | Custom Brackets I'd say its easily the best one on the market though.

11. BAmereihn

BAmereihn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    whats the benefit of a bracket over just moving the flash head?

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Gets the flash off of the camera and away from the lens. You can do this by holding the flash by hand with an off shoe cord but it isn't comfortable and it can get a bit difficult after shooting a wedding.

If you mean by "moving" as in turning the flash head to bounce. Often, you can't. Walls have mirrors that cause problems or a color that casts over your photos. The rooms could also be too large to effectively use the ceiling nor walls as a bounce.