Which 'Droid cell has the best camera (or best photo apps)?

cathexis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't drink the Apple "Kool-Aid." Not up for debate.

By asking which is best and then throwing in the iffy part about apps I meant: Which 'Droid cell has the highest quality camera ? But regardless of camera specs if there's one that has proprietary apps that make it better in some significant way I'd like to know. Otherwise, I'd figure apps ought to run on whatever if it's the correct O.S., so then specs and build would be the sole determiners.

I'm no cell phone chaser and consider them a pain but I have seen some creative work done with cellies that would've been logistically very hard with some backpack & tripod outfit you have to pack around. So they may have their place and tech does seem to be improving immensely. FWIW.
Definitely not trying to start some, "Are cell phones legit cameras" debate. Just want to learn.

Andrew

I've heard the pixel 2 from google is pretty grand, too expensive for me though.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 and have been quite impressed with the camera. I have found it to render color more naturally than previous phones that I have had, and its low light performance is very good as well.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 and have been quite impressed with the camera. I have found it to render color more naturally than previous phones that I have had, and its low light performance is very good as well.

Same here. My wife and I have S7's and the camera seems to work very well. Wife more than me, has actually captured some very good pictures with it.

Does the S7 have a mem card slot? I know the S8 does. How much capacity?
Then again, someone probably already has an app to Wi-Fi to a portable
SSD so the cell acts like tethered device to the portable SSD . Am I right?

Yes, micro SD under the back cover though. I think I have a 32GB card in mine.

Actually, it's not under the back cover. Can't even take the cover off the back of the s7. There's a small drive door on the top of the phone - the kind that you have to open with a paper clip, like the override on old floppy drives when the disk got stuck in them (I know, totally aging myself here!) Except you don't have to use the paper clip - the phone comes with a 'special tool' which is essentially a fancy paper clip ;)

I've got a 64 gb card in mine. I have all my music and pictures (just checked, I've got 940 pictures saved on the card) on the card and it's about half full.

Actually, it's not under the back cover. Can't even take the cover off the back of the s7. There's a small drive door on the top of the phone - the kind that you have to open with a paper clip, like the override on old floppy drives when the disk got stuck in them (I know, totally aging myself here!) Except you don't have to use the paper clip - the phone comes with a 'special tool' which is essentially a fancy paper clip ;)

I've got a 64 gb card in mine. I have all my music and pictures (just checked, I've got 940 pictures saved on the card) on the card and it's about half full.
Yes, your right. Remember that now. The old S4 was under the cover. But I use an Otter box anyway. So, I never remove / reinstall it.

Yes, your right. Remember that now. The old S4 was under the cover. But I use an Otter box anyway. So, I never remove / reinstall it.

Yup, I had the s4 too and remember it being under the back.

I don't ever take it out either - no need to. Pictures can be transferred via cable or synched to Google Drive/Dropbox if you (OP) want to edit them in a proper editing suite. The phone does have a basic photo editing for things like presets or basic adjustments like cropping, straightening, brightness and contrast.

I tend to keep technology for a while, so when I upgrade, it's a bigger difference than upgrading every time a new version comes out. Went from an s4 to the s7 and I sae a significant improvement in the camera, and the s4 already had a pretty good camera.

If you want the best phone camera get a Pixel 2.

Ad long as the light is good and the camera window on the back of the phone is clean my Galaxy 6 Active does a pretty fair job. Example
20171111_125005.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yup, I had the s4 too and remember it being under the back.

I don't ever take it out either - no need to. Pictures can be transferred via cable or synched to Google Drive/Dropbox if you (OP) want to edit them in a proper editing suite. The phone does have a basic photo editing for things like presets or basic adjustments like cropping, straightening, brightness and contrast.

I tend to keep technology for a while, so when I upgrade, it's a bigger difference than upgrading every time a new version comes out. Went from an s4 to the s7 and I sae a significant improvement in the camera, and the s4 already had a pretty good camera.

Same here. I actually went from S2 to S7. With an S4 inbetween for about 2 months. I actually crushed my S2 with my truck. It must have slipped out of my pocket while I was shoveling. And when I started plowing, when I was done. I look down and go what it that. Well it was one crushed S2. :BangHead: We had just upgraded my wife to an S7 from an S4. So, I transferred my info to her old S4. But it took a big crap about 6 weeks or so later. So, I ended up getting an S7 as well. I would still be using the S2 if I had not run over it. :048:

FWIW, All pennies minted prior to July, 1982 are 90% Cu, 10% Zn. All pennies minted AFTER July, 1982 are 10% Cu, 90% Zn with a lite Cu wash.
They are crap! There are a few exceptions from Teddy R. days that have tin but you won't find those in circulation. Also, 1943 steel cent. So you should
keep that penny - I keep mine and Coin-Star the rest.

AND,... Just checked the desk drawer and I still have my paper clip (pre-bent) for just such usage. Last week my DVD burner froze up and I needed it to
pop out the DVD drawer. So still useful - don't throw it out!<wink>.

Andrew

Here is dxo's review of the pixel 2, scored a 98. Beat the previous mark set by Pixel 1. I have the original Pixel and can highly recommend this phone and right now is quite a bit cheaper than the Pixel 2. They also don't come with bloatware and are the first to get Android updates.

Google Pixel 2 reviewed: Sets new record for overall smartphone camera quality - DxOMark

Actually the Galaxy note 8 has better photo score. And notable is the Pixel 2 problems with artifacts in zoom, poor bokeh, noise, and artifacts ratings. The video score bring up the Pixel 2 to surpas the Note 8. Those are the only two cells phones I looked at on DXO.

Most reactions

Back