Which 'Droid cell has the best camera (or best photo apps)?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cathexis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't drink the Apple "Kool-Aid." Not up for debate.

By asking which is best and then throwing in the iffy part about apps I meant: Which 'Droid cell has the highest quality camera ? But regardless of camera specs if there's one that has proprietary apps that make it better in some significant way I'd like to know. Otherwise, I'd figure apps ought to run on whatever if it's the correct O.S., so then specs and build would be the sole determiners.

I'm no cell phone chaser and consider them a pain but I have seen some creative work done with cellies that would've been logistically very hard with some backpack & tripod outfit you have to pack around. So they may have their place and tech does seem to be improving immensely. FWIW.
    Definitely not trying to start some, "Are cell phones legit cameras" debate. Just want to learn.

Andrew

2. goooner

goooner Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I've heard the pixel 2 from google is pretty grand, too expensive for me though.

3. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 and have been quite impressed with the camera. I have found it to render color more naturally than previous phones that I have had, and its low light performance is very good as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Same here. My wife and I have S7's and the camera seems to work very well. Wife more than me, has actually captured some very good pictures with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Does the S7 have a mem card slot? I know the S8 does. How much capacity?
    Then again, someone probably already has an app to Wi-Fi to a portable
    SSD so the cell acts like tethered device to the portable SSD . Am I right?

6. benhasajeep

Yes, micro SD under the back cover though. I think I have a 32GB card in mine.

7. limr

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, it's not under the back cover. Can't even take the cover off the back of the s7. There's a small drive door on the top of the phone - the kind that you have to open with a paper clip, like the override on old floppy drives when the disk got stuck in them (I know, totally aging myself here!) Except you don't have to use the paper clip - the phone comes with a 'special tool' which is essentially a fancy paper clip ;)

I've got a 64 gb card in mine. I have all my music and pictures (just checked, I've got 940 pictures saved on the card) on the card and it's about half full.

• Like Like x 2
  8. benhasajeep

Yes, your right. Remember that now. The old S4 was under the cover. But I use an Otter box anyway. So, I never remove / reinstall it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. limr

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup, I had the s4 too and remember it being under the back.

I don't ever take it out either - no need to. Pictures can be transferred via cable or synched to Google Drive/Dropbox if you (OP) want to edit them in a proper editing suite. The phone does have a basic photo editing for things like presets or basic adjustments like cropping, straightening, brightness and contrast.

I tend to keep technology for a while, so when I upgrade, it's a bigger difference than upgrading every time a new version comes out. Went from an s4 to the s7 and I sae a significant improvement in the camera, and the s4 already had a pretty good camera.

10. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want the best phone camera get a Pixel 2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Ad long as the light is good and the camera window on the back of the phone is clean my Galaxy 6 Active does a pretty fair job. Example 20171111_125005.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. benhasajeep

Same here. I actually went from S2 to S7. With an S4 inbetween for about 2 months. I actually crushed my S2 with my truck. It must have slipped out of my pocket while I was shoveling. And when I started plowing, when I was done. I look down and go what it that. Well it was one crushed S2. :BangHead: We had just upgraded my wife to an S7 from an S4. So, I transferred my info to her old S4. But it took a big crap about 6 weeks or so later. So, I ended up getting an S7 as well. I would still be using the S2 if I had not run over it. :048: