which DSLR? canon xti, xsi or nikon d60, d80?

ISI_Stang06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've always been interested in photography as a hobby of mine and have always wanted to buy a DSLR but hard to save the money with working part time and going to college. but ive worked out a deal with my sister-in-law to pay half and she pays half since she loves photography also. i really enjoy taking pics of cars, whether its at a car show, at the track or on the streets. my sis-in-law enjoys portraits of her kids, dirt bike racing and landscapes, which dont get me wrong i also enjoy these subjects also and especially sports such as football, track, basketball and rodeos.

ive narrowed it down between canon or nikon.
1. which do you think is a better brand? (opinions please)
2. the four cameras i have in mind are basically the same i think in my opinion or at least have similar qualities: cannon rebel xti or rebel xsi, then the nikon d60 or d80? (which do you all recommend?)
3. which would be the best choice for what we want to take pictures of and will last us for a couple years, and has the best lenses to choose from?
4. from the 4 which would also be the best for beginners like us? not complete beginners but beginners to higer-end cameras the world of DSLR's?

i found the best prices for all 4 cameras with lens, those that come in kits on http://www.broadwayphoto.com/Produc...rchcat=&manuf=&sort=6&sp=&page=1&qu=&attrid=5
please go through the pages and tell me which deal is the best of the 4? some come with just a 18-55mm lens while some packages offer that lens and a telephoto lens also, for real good prices

thanks guys for reading my long post, sorry its long but i just wanna make the right decision you know? if this belongs in another area of the forums just let me know so i can move it, thank you :D

First of all, I don't know if I would buy from that place. Those deals look a little good to be true, haha.

I'm sure a lot of people will say this, but you should probably go to camera stores and check them out. Nikon and Canon are both great, and it really depends on how you like them. hold the Canon, and hold the Nikon and see who's menu/button layout you like better, and what brand feels better in your hands
Also, what's your budget? You might want to look at lenses, too. If you want to do sports, and portraits a cheap way to do that would be to buy the kit lens, and then a 75-300mm or something like that. Also, the 50mm 1.8 lens might interest you guys. It's pretty cheap, and takes awesome pictures.

Good luck, and have fun with your new DSLR!

This same question (maybe with different models) has been asked 10,000 times. You can find some good advice by using the search feature.

Basically, they are all very good camera and you can't really go wrong. Check them all out and see which one feels the best to you.

Personally, I'd go for the latest one with the newest technology...which is probably the XSi.

Oh ya, beware of where you buy from. I'd suggest the two links at the top/right of the page.

Yeah, well keep on dreaming about photography as a hobby if you buy from Broadway Photo, cause you won't be doing any photography with an empty wallet and no gear.

Might want to look here. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

There is a difference between saving a few dollars and giving it away for no good reason. Go to a local photography store or order from one of the trusted merchants such as B&H or Adorama.

thanks guys, now i ill look around the other online stores. saw all the bad reviews about broadwayphoto, and damn are they bad, thanks for giving me the heads up on this ripoff website.

i already got a chance to check out the cameras at bestbuy but they wouldnt turn on and every time i looked in the viewfinder and adjusted lens w/manual focus it just kept getting more blurry and more blurry, guess its from everyone that drops and messes w/them. ill just head to the other best buy and circut city and hope they work so i can give them a try and see which is most user friendly for my taste.

but keep the advice coming guys, really appreciate it

I have been researching the same cameras for the past 5 weeks and have come up with XSI being the best one. Main reasons are the sensor, quality of pics and live view. I am pretty much a newbie so I have read 100's of pages of reviews and such to come to this conclusion.

i really enjoy taking pics of cars, whether its at a car show, at the track or on the streets. my sis-in-law enjoys portraits of her kids, dirt bike racing and landscapes, which dont get me wrong i also enjoy these subjects also and especially sports such as football, track, basketball and rodeos.

ive narrowed it down between canon or nikon.
1. which do you think is a better brand? (opinions please)
2. the four cameras i have in mind are basically the same i think in my opinion or at least have similar qualities: cannon rebel xti or rebel xsi, then the nikon d60 or d80? (which do you all recommend?)
3. which would be the best choice for what we want to take pictures of and will last us for a couple years, and has the best lenses to choose from?
4. from the 4 which would also be the best for beginners like us? not complete beginners but beginners to higer-end cameras the world of DSLR's?
Since you seem to be biased towards sports, I'd strongly suggest getting a Canon. Canon has a much more complete lineup of telephoto lenses, and their super teles are often a ton cheaper than Nikon's if you really get into photography. Canon's AF system is also snappier than Nikon's comparing consumer level lenses. 99% of sports shooters still use Canon, so finding used gear relevant to your style of shooting from other sports shooters will be far easier if you go with Canon as well.

I'd start with the Rebel XTi, 18-55 kit lens, and then a 70-200 f/4L for all of the sports and portrait work. The reason I'd say to go for the XTi over the XSi is because from what I've seen the XSi really doesn't offer anything that's all that important over the XTi, and because the money you save could be put into that sweet 70-200 f/4L telephoto zoom instead rather than wasted on the body.

Most reactions

Back