Which DSLR Should I Get? Help Needed!

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hey!

Well ive currently got a Fujifilm S7000, but i have got all the avalible accessories and am thinking of buying a Canon 300D what does everyone think about these? as i believe its got a much higher ISO than S7000 and overall wide range of lenses to choose from.

All opinions wanted! Even if you think another camera is better i need to know which one to get but must be a DSLR

I don't have any Cannon stuff except a printer but if i had to do it all over again and start a new lens collection from scratch, it would be Cannon. they just seem to be a step ahead of everybody else. Minolta (what I use) is great stuff, but a little late getting to the party. Everybody else gets a new 12+ mp toy and us Minolta guys just spread rumors about how cool are new 8D or 9D is gonna be.

Nothing wrong with Canon or their optics but I would at least check out the Nikon D70s. I use a D70 and it has performed great thus far...

You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.

I'd suggest the 350D (over the 300D). It will be much, much better than your current camera. Make sure you try it out in a store though, it's very small for a DSLR. I've got a 20D which I love. I think it's laid out better than the 350D and has a bigger, better body with more features...but it's more expensive.

Also, have a look at the new Nikon D50. It's an entry level DSLR, but it's supposed to have great image quality and AF performance. Good price too.

maxxum said:
I don't have any Cannon stuff except a printer but if i had to do it all over again and start a new lens collection from scratch, it would be Cannon. they just seem to be a step ahead of everybody else. Minolta (what I use) is great stuff, but a little late getting to the party. Everybody else gets a new 12+ mp toy and us Minolta guys just spread rumors about how cool are new 8D or 9D is gonna be.

But they don't get image stabilisation without paying a load more money!

I know we can argue about this till the sun comes down, but we had to wait 4 years for the 7D. Which is a great camera, but the rest of the party moved on with 12mp,35mm sensors, and weather seals. Don't get me wrong I love my Minolta gear I just hate waiting around for it to get here.

well as cliche as it sounds the old "good things come to those who wait" seems relevant in some sense or other.

I have used a 300D and own a D70s which are both aimed at the same market (the "prosumer"). I prefer the D70s's overall build quality than the Canon. It is better designed ergnomically and for the majority of the time I am very impressed with the colours produced by my Nikon but you need to have the right settings (white balance etc.) to get the best out of it.

I would seriously suggest using a friend's camera or at least trying them out in store. To be honest, buying a D50, D70s, 300D or 350D isn't going to disappoint you as a first DSLR. One will better suit your needs and bank balance than others.

I picked up a 300d a month ago (my first DSLR) and I am very happy with it. I was using a fully manual Canon FT QL before and decided that it was time to start getting up to date stuff. I Figured that I would much rather spend the money on lenses and practice my technique more now. Then when I'm good enough to justify the nicer body, I will have the glass and the skills to use it fully.

I was so used to the heavy and beefy build of my old film camera/lenses, that when I use this one It feels more like a toy then camera.

I'm sure high ISO on 300D will be better than on your current camera, but I'd pick 350D if that was a concern. On 300D ISO 800 and 800+ is simply unuseable.

On 20D and probably 350 you'll still get good results with ISO 1600.

and discounting the crappy viewfinder 350 is a better camera

cbay said:
Yes, i am thinking about getting a Canon 350D now, but "DocFrankenstein" how do you mean "crappy viewfinder" Whats wrong with the viewfinder on a 350D??
Its small and dim.

It's like comparing a movie experience. You can watch TV or you can watch HiDef or you can go to a cinema and watch it on a big screen.

viewfinder being the main interface of the camera is important for composition... there's an article on it somewhere.

http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column67/

I just recently bought a Panasonic FZ20 but my next camera will be a Nikon D70.

I want a camera that I know the professionals use and the D70 is one I have seen them using at weddings I have been DJing at.

The D70 is a nice camera loaded with features and feels good in your hands. If you cannot afford a D70, the D50 is a good alternate.

I have not looked at the Canon line of dSLR cameras as yet but I do like what I have seen from Nikon.

Most reactions

Back