Which DSLR to Get?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I have been into photgraphy for about a year now and really liking it and would like to progress more. Unfortunatley, the camera I have now is limited, or I think is limited. I can still take great pictures with it, except I haven't gotten to try some other shots.

Anyways, I'm looking for a new camera to get, preferably a SLR, or another high end digital camera with lots of capabilites. I really dont know which to buy, so came here to ask. I really like the brands Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and have been looking at a few models from them.

Which camera would you guys recommend for a beginner/intermediate photographer? Also, I dont want to spend above $1000.

Thanks.

Rebel Xti, or Nikon D80 are two very good options...
Probably would lean more towards the D80 myself...even though I am a Canon guy.

I would go for the XTi. The D80 is really close to $1000 and then you wouldn't have money for a lens.

Get the XTi and then get a lens (NOT a kit lens, a real lens.)

My real budget is actually around $700 at the most, I was just seeing what responses I would get.

Anyways, I was looking at the D40, looks prtty good, the only thing I dont like aobut it is no auto-focus motor, which wont be a huge issue for me.

With Christmas around the corner, there are about 5 other threads like this one asking which camera is best. Run a search or just go through the pages of topics. You'll find alot of helpful info there.

Now it's time for my obligatory Sony Alpha A-100 plug....make sure you do plenty of research and don't limit yourself to just Canon & Nikon. They're definitely the big dogs in the market, but Sony, Sigma, Olympus, etc all make good cameras as well.

Buy whatever feels good to you as is the response to this question the 50,000 other times it has been asked. The only way to really figure out what is good for you is to go into a store, preferably one where the cameras are not on a leash so you can get a real good feel for them and the salesperso was not selling refrigerators last week. If it were me I would either stick to Nikon or Canon but that is just me.

There are currently five "which dSLR" posts on Page 1 of this part of the forum (not counting ones in the Beyond the Basics, Equipment or Digital sections)... I'm sure you will find suitable answers in any of them :wink:

If you don't want to read all those threads, here's a brief summary of what will happen in each one...
  • Nikon users say buy Nikon (or Canon if you're mad).
  • Canon users say buy Canon (or Nikon if you're mad).
  • Pentax users say hey take a look at Pentax too.
  • Sony users say yes but look at this Sony as well.
  • Olympus users say don't forget to look at Olympus.
  • Someone says remember it's all about the lenses.
  • Someone else says ah but the camera is really important too.
  • Someone points out camera A can't do this but camera B can do that.
  • Someone else says hey, but camera B can't do this and camera C can.
  • The thread eventually dies, having already been replaced by two or three identical ones.
  • Meanwhile the marketing departments of all the camera companies put their feet up and relax since we're doing all their work for them.
;)

Heres some of my work so that you guys can see if I actually do need an SLR. BTW, the camera I have now is a 7.2 Sony Cybershot.

DSC00951.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

There are currently five "which dSLR" posts on Page 1 of this part of the forum (not counting ones in the Beyond the Basics, Equipment or Digital sections)... I'm sure you will find suitable answers in any of them :wink:

If you don't want to read all those threads, here's a brief summary of what will happen in each one...
  • Nikon users say buy Nikon (or Canon if you're mad).
  • Canon users say buy Canon (or Nikon if you're mad).
  • Pentax users say hey take a look at Pentax too.
  • Sony users say yes but look at this Sony as well.
  • Olympus users say don't forget to look at Olympus.
  • Someone says remember it's all about the lenses.
  • Someone else says ah but the camera is really important too.
  • Someone points out camera A can't do this but camera B can do that.
  • Someone else says hey, but camera B can't do this and camera C can.
  • The thread eventually dies, having already been replaced by two or three identical ones.
  • Meanwhile the marketing departments of all the camera companies put their feet up and relax since we're doing all their work for them.
;)

Screw all of that.... be different (and broke) go with Leica...

guess no one ever remembers that Sigma makes DSLRs too...

Heres some of my work so that you guys can see if I actually do need an SLR.

I don't know.. do you??? only you can answer that question. if the sony cybershot does all that you want it to do... then no. If it is limiting... then yes...

Any and all will suit most needs... you need to go to the store and handle all of them. It is very much a personal choice.

I don't know.. do you??? only you can answer that question. if the sony cybershot does all that you want it to do... then no. If it is limiting... then yes...

Any and all will suit most needs... you need to go to the store and handle all of them. It is very much a personal choice./QUOTE]

My camera I do find limiting, but more-so that its hard to find good shots.

that one with the birds looks really cool. what model cybershot do you have?

Astreus:

I believe it is the Sony Cybershot DCS-W55. Anyways, thanks :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back