Which dslr???

As for the comment up above about Canon costing less and Nikon having better glass or ergonomics, that is not necessarily true. Ergonimics have to do with how a person fits with the camera (or chair, or desk, or keyboard,...) and is person dependant. Better glass? They both make very high quality lenses and I would love to see facts supporting high end Nikon vs high end Canon giving different results in a professional shoot. For an purposes, they are the same.

As far as ergonomics are concerned, you are correct, I may have misspoken. It is entirely personal preference.

Apples to apples, Nikon is usually a bit more expensive. For example (an extreme case), the Canon 400/2.8 is ~$7100, while the Nikon 400/2.8 is ~$8900. Differences are less dramatic, but present, throughout most of the line. As far as the quality of glass is concerned, I can't site my source, but was told some time ago that Canon outsources production of glass (I believe to the same people Hoya uses, someone correct me if I'm wrong) while Nikon is completely in house. Regardless, of the MTF charts I've seen for the larger zooms, I recall the Nikon having the slight (albeit real world irrelevant) edge.

In the end, glass and money aside, the camera that is going to be best for you is the one you're more comfortable with. I think that's the most important thing.

Actually the same is true for Nikon.
As long as you keep this list handy when shopping for lenses online:

2-9-20105-01-14PM.png

You should be good.

For Canon you only need to remember all lenses made after 1987 are supported. ;)

Key word, current - which I made bold in your quote.

Sorry, my bad. I meant to say any starter :p

I started on a Sony a300 (which I am, by the way, now selling). I liked it a lot; it gave me the settings I needed to learn to use as well as quite a good camera for the price, if I do say so myself. It also fits well in my hand, not too heavy. Sony, being a later entry into the photo world has much cheaper prices and they are getting quite good now a days.

Nikon D3s with the following:
Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8
Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon SB-900 x3

Enjoy!
How utterly lame. Seriously, if you're going to make a suggestion at least give a thoughtful response and include a list of gear that's somewhat useful not to mention realistic.

D3S? Are you f'ing kidding me?

D3X.
The X doesn't have enough ISO performance. :lmao:

So I have determined that with where I want to go with photography a dslr will be the best for me. So. What are your opinions on the different brands?? I am still very much a beginner but am dying to learn more about aperture, ISO, and different lenses.

Long story short, I have no idea where to start other than that I want to go with a dslr. Any suggestions and opinions would be great!!

My opinions of the different brands. Olympus: nice and small and compact,and too small for big hands,with nice lenses, some of them very expensive. Sony: solid feel in the hand,and a lot of camera for the money,with good controls and buttons. Pentax: very compact, solid-feeling, lot of value for the money spent,nice ergonomics and good controls on the bodies.. Canon: good value for the money, lots of megapixels, too many multi-function buttons and too few body controls, ergonomics a bit sub-par. Nikon: good value for money, fewer megapixels than Canon, but better ergonomics and better control buttons. So, there are my opinions. Your own opinions on various criteria are really important. Each camera maker has entry, mid-, and upper-level models in both cameras, and lenses.

If you can get to a big store and actually lay your hands on the various models, you'll have a feeling about one or two cameras. A gut feeling. Go with that, and then do some research on you two favorite models. Don't bother with comparing three cameras' your top two choices will be enough.

Alright - so I got picked on for starting a new thread, so I will repost here as well for those who didn't see the new thread...

I have narrowed my selection down to the Canon XSi and Nikon D5000... Here are the "evaluations"...

Nikon D5000: I was iffy about how it felt in my hand... I liked the fact that it had a lot more functions and options than the canon (LOVE the live view screen and the fact that it flips down)... I would probably use the features as I get better with photography... It did seem like it might be a little bit difficult to learn though.

Canon XSi: Felt better in the hand... Doesn't seem to have as many features and options as the Nikon did... Seems to be easier to learn than the Nikon would be...

So, I have been exploring on Amazon and have found "kits" that seem to have everything I need for each camera to start...

Nikon kit $829.95: Nikon D5000 Body, 18-55mm VR Lens, 55-200mm Zoom Lens, 8GB Memory Card, Spare battery, Case, Cleaning kit, Memory Card Reader, USB Cord.

Canon kit $879.95: Canon XSi Body, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens, 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Zoom Lens, 8GB Memory Card, Case, Tripod, Memory Card Reader, Extra Battery, Screen Protectors, Memory Card Wallet...

They both end up being about the same price in the end... It's a $50 price difference in the kits...

At this point, I am going to go based on whichever kit seems better... I honestly can't decide between the two cameras based on features and how they felt in the hand and all that stuff that everyone else tells me to look for... So this is where I am stuck... :)

Get the Canon because I have an awesome lens I will give you! It's that important to me that you go Canon. I'm a fanboy, and a much better one than PhotoXopher!

P.S. No one "picked" on you, we just let you know that it's best to post to the original thread vs. starting new threads on the same subject. It's easier to follow the conversation in one thread vs. many.

Nikon has 'The world through one crappy lens' going on right now though, beat that!

In all seriousness, for the most part Nikon people will say get the Nikon and Canon people will say get the Canon.

* Can you live without the features that you like on the Nikon that the Canon doesn't have?

* Will you be able to adjust to the way the Nikon functions?

Which is more important to you, features or intuitiveness?

Like I said in your other thread, at this point it's really your call and your call only since the above two statements are personal preference.

The brand is not the most important part... hold the camera in your hands... Look at what/how many accessories and lenses are available for it.

Personally, I am quite happy with my Canon 50D. But I was very close to being a Nikon D90 owner.... I already had a small investment in lenses from my film SLR and I preferred the feel of the Canon 50D.

The 50D may be slightly more than a starter... But sticking with Nikon or Canon, you can't go wrong.

One of the traps that beginning shooters often fall into when they pick up a d-slr is to look at the camera that has MORE butons and controls and assume that the one with the FEWER buttons will be easier to learn and operate. WRONG,wrong,wrong,wrong conclusion. I'm not trying to say that you jeffie are wrong--but that the entire beginner's notion that fewer buttons and few controls makes the camera easier to use is wrong; fewer buttons and controls in fact make the camera more difficult to use effectively.

I'll go with an example of a camera that had a LOT of control dials and buttons, the Minolta Maxxum 7D; it had more buttons and dials and stuff on the back and top than just about any other d-slr made,and that made it one of the easiest cameras to use. Some companies make beginner-level cameras where many of the functions you want to access are buried somewhere inside the menu system, on the rear LCD. On the "serious" cameras, the idea that critical functions each have their OWN, separate, distinct controls, in the form of either buttons or dials or control wheels, is king. Having a dedicated White Balance button, and a dedicated AF-ON or AF-LOCK button, and a dedicated Autofocus Area Selector, all as separate controls, will actually make a more-advanced camera faster and easier to use than a beginner's model camera with menu-driven ergonomics.

When editors of magazines comment on the difference between Canon and Nikon ergonomics, many times they comment on how they prefer Nikon's ergonomics, because of the way the PRIMARY controls on Nikon are single-function, while on most Canon bodies, there are four primary controls that each have dual functions. Sony, being the new Minolta, has body controls that also are somewhat more prone to being single-function.

An example oif a Canon camera with an old-style, Minolta-like feature is the new Canon G10 and G11, with a large, clear mechanical +/- expopsure compensation dial located around the top,left control on the top deck of the camera. it might look scary to beginners, but aftr a half day, the value of having the exposure compensation control being located on its own,separate,discrete control proves to be a VASTLY better,faster,simpler, and less error-prone way of handling exposure compensation than the all too typical bury-it-in-a-menu design idea most beginner digicams have. Canon's midde-level bodies are, IMHO, easier to use than the Rebels!

So, please, do not make the mistake of thinking that fewer buttons and dials means a camera is "easier" to operate. The exact, polar opposite is true. MORE control dials, buttons,and wheels means easier operation with a d-slr.
When one control does only ONE operation, it becomes second nature to adjust properly. When the same control has multiple functions, or you have to "remember" where a function is within a nested menu structure, it can be excruciating to see shot opportunities passing before your eyes as you struggle with the mental recall of the menu hierarcy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back