Which dslr???

Might I suggest you buy the body and lens separately so you can get a much better quality lens. Once you open the box on the kit lens, it's value drops dramatically. If you really just want that kit lens, you can get a slightly used or demo for cheap. I think you can get much better optics for the roughly same price, especially if you buy used.

This is what I did anyway. I got the Tamron 17-50 instead of a kit lens and am very glad I did after seeing plenty of photos with kit lenses at full wide/tight and wide open.

Actually, if you look at the two bodies they have roughly the same controls. It just seems that the Canon might be a little more cleanly laid out (or perhaps more clearly marked) to Jeff.

0512_canon-450d.jpg

nikon-d5000.jpg

Get the Canon because I have an awesome lens I will give you! It's that important to me that you go Canon. I'm a fanboy, and a much better one than PhotoXopher!

P.S. No one "picked" on you, we just let you know that it's best to post to the original thread vs. starting new threads on the same subject. It's easier to follow the conversation in one thread vs. many.

I know :) I was being sarcastic :) I have a hard time "showing" sarcasm online ;) No worries, I'm not offended or upset or anything :)

On the D5000 you have to hold down the exposure compensation button and turn the rear command dial to adjust the aperture when in Manual mode. But in Aperture Priority mode the rear dial becomes the aperture control without having to press the exposure compensation button.

hannah, that dial is actually for changing aperture, and shutter speed...

If I remember correctly, the person at the camera store when I went told me that the buttons and dials on both cameras have basically the same functionality, it's just a matter of convenience for adjusting and how the buttons are laid out...

I could be completely wrong with saying that the Nikon has more features (other than the live view LCD), but it just seemed that way based on the look of the camera...

I did play with both cameras, took a few shots, looked through menus, etc... I might have just been confused by the Nikon because of my noobishness and not really because it is confusing...

inTempus, you do have me leaning towards the Canon now though after mentioning you have a lens you would give me ;) LOL

The Nikon could end up being easier to use based on what the person said in the last post on page 3...

I'm so confused!! I don't know which one I like more! :( LOL (I do like how the Canon feels in hand better though...) :( Grrr.. lol

Well first, I was kidding about giving away a lens so don't buy a Canon based on that. :D

Don't feel bad, I find the Nikon menus to be cluttered and poorly laid out. I much prefer the simplicity and logical structure of my Canon menus. But as with anything, you'll get used to whatever you buy and most likely grow to prefer that method be it Canon or Nikon. I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

I'm not a fan of the articulated screens, you'll notice they only exist on the entry level cameras. As for live view, I never use it and I have it on both of my cameras. I prefer the view finder, as I suspect most people do given they are kind of central to the whole SLR concept.

If the Canon feels good in your hands (and I agree with you, I don't like how Nikons feel) that's the way you should go. You'll be holding that camera a lot and ergonomics play a big role in comfort. For me my biggest gripe is that Nikon points their shutter release almost straight up. I find this to be uncomfortable when I've shot with Nikons. In short order it causes fatigue in my index finger and I find myself walking around with my finger off the shutter release whereas with my Canon's my finger naturally rests on the shutter release. To each their own.

But I would go with what feels good in your hands. As far as features and image quality, they'll both give you outstanding results. I wouldn't drive yourself too crazy over the decision.

Yeah, I figured you were joking about the lens ;)

My only "struggle" at this point is: How much are some of the features hidden in the Canon? Or are they easily found when I am ready for them?

Most of the time, I just use the close up setting on the camera but that's just because as of right now, I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about aperture, ISO, and shutter speed ;) I played around with shutter speed on my mom's camera earlier and got a bunch of black pics, and a bunch of white pics...

What are some good settings for shooting snow? Right now she only has a 18-55mm lens... She's not as into things as I am..

What are some good settings for shooting snow? Right now she only has a 18-55mm lens... She's not as into things as I am..
Settings vary as the conditions always vary.

What I can tell you about snow is that all cameras view the world in 18% gray. That means when your camera sees white snow, it underexposes the scene trying to make the white 18% gray. So for snow you want to dial in a little exposure compensation (commonly referred to as "shooting to the right") and see how it effects your final image.

idiot time!

Exposure compensation is the -2 to 2 thing right??

My dad asked me to ask this so I'm going to...

Are there any difference in the XSi and XS other than MP?

And I'm starting to consider just getting the body (if I go with the Canon) and getting the 55-200 lens and just stealing my mom's 18-55 when I need to... I think I've done about everything I can do with the 18-55 on my mom's camera and I'm getting bored with it lol... And I don't even have my own camera yet!!

Any answer to this last question??

14bit RAW vs 12bit RAW, 9 point focus system, faster shooting speeds and a larger LCD.

For what it's worth, I know nothing about Canon's - I just searched Google and looked at the first link.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back