Which eye?

Which eye do you shoot with?

• Total voters

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
I shoot left-eyed. I am pretty convinced that I am alone in this aspect. Convince me that I am a freak. Or that at least I'm not totally alone in being a freak.

I could not even remember off the top of my head, so i had to pick my camera up and test it myself.

I never even thought of it before.

I shoot wiht my right, the left just feels wierd, but i guess it works just like left and right handed people.

If a person is left handed then normally their master eye is also the left and similar for right handed people but there are people that are right handed with a left master eye and similar for lefties.
If you happen to be a righty with a left master eye then you'd naturally use it for shooting with the camera and it would be an advantage since the viewfinder is normally located on the left but the shutter button is normally on the right.
To determine which is your master eye, hold your index finger out in front of you and align it with a distant object. Close your right eye and if your finger appears to jump to the right then you've a right master eye, if it seems the same then repeat for the left and the finger should appear to jump to the left meaning a left master eye.
If neither moves then you're probably as blind as a bat or missing a finger!

I'm not alone! :D

What if they both move, sid? Does that just mean I'm doing it wrong?

btw, I'm right handed and my right eye is dominant if I recall my eye doctor correctly...

funny you should mention this orie, i was right handed, left eyed but only because my vision was legally blind in my right eye.

before surgery i shot with my left, but now i switch back n forth (but still lean towards my left eye cause thats what i'm used too).

i shoot with my left eye and im left-handed

i did your experiment sid and the finger jumped with my right eye open .. with my left eye, it was calm as a cucumber :D

Left-Eyers Unite!!!! :salute:

I'm a freak. I'm right handed writing, I can hit a volleyball with either arm, make a lot of left-handed saves in net (I'm a soccer goalkeeper), and shoot left-eyed. :? :sigh: This is just proof positive I'm a nutcase, I guess! hehehe

mrsid99 said:
To determine which is your master eye, hold your index finger out in front of you and align it with a distant object. Close your right eye and if your finger appears to jump to the right then you've a right master eye, if it seems the same then repeat for the left and the finger should appear to jump to the left meaning a left master eye.
If neither moves then you're probably as blind as a bat or missing a finger!

When I try this I get either two distant objects (focusing on the finger) or two fingers (focusing on the distant object). Which am I supposed to use to line up?

I can get the "jump" to occur in both directions with both eyes. Does this mean my eyes are ambidextrous? ambiocularous?

Anyway, I'm right handed and use my right eye.

The trick is to focus on the distant object and hold a finger up at arms length such that it appears to be over the object.
Your finger will be out of focus and it may seem double but when you close your master eye you'll know immediately because your finger will appear to have moved to the side leaving a clear view of the object.
You'll also notice when you close your non-master eye that your finger appears to jump into sharp focus over the object.

i shoot left
write left
bat right and
bow hunt right
im glad i am not the only one who is different (or does this make me the same) all my life people have looked at me like i was crazy
whos crazy now :scratch:

I am right handed but shoot left eyed. Up until I was 18 I couldn't even close my left eye without both eyes closing, ut when I was in the army (2 years in the reserves) I had to learn to shoot right eyed (closing just my left eye) because I wanted to use my right hand trigger finger. Now I am ambi-optical (new word) but I still shoot left eyed when I have the choice.

Mike

Right eye, by all means! My left eye is very weak. What the heck, perhaps I should try to switch for a change... Who knows what'll come out?

:D

I'm getting eye surgery (lasik) in a couple weeks. Be interesting to see if that affects my eye-dominance. I don't think it will, as it seems to be more of a brain thing than an actual eye thing, but who knows!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back