Which filter was used here?

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm a relative photoshop/lightroom novice who uses my D500 and a nice 24-70mm to take pictures of people, mostly as a hobby. I recently shot a woman for her yoga business, and would like to make the pictures look warmer.

Would someone suggest a photoshop/lightroom filter that would be appropriate for this? And how do I actually apply the filter? I've downloaded the Nik filter, but I really don't know how to use it. Here are one of the pictures I took. Perhaps a little more shallow DoF would have helped here too, but it was a very bright day.

36783955784_5e2d909bb1.jpg

Here are a few pictures (from different sources) I've come across in the last day or so. I like the warming effect applied to these pictures. Would you help me identify them? Do you think these filters are appropriate for my yoga instructor business?

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

Thanks for any ideas.

I don't use filters, and I don't think my software even has them (I will look later). I just use the sliders.

You've got a white balance slider which warms and cools, and color sliders for each of the main colors.

you're going to get yelled at for posting other photographers work here directly. you should replace the files with a link to the source.

The biggest difference I see between your shot and the other two examples is the DOF and focal lengths. you were shooting wide with a smaller aperature, the other two shots were shot at, at least, 85mm with a wide aperture.

filters are for iPhone users.

I don't use filters, and I don't think my software even has them (I will look later). I just use the sliders.

You've got a white balance slider which warms and cools, and color sliders for each of the main colors.
I don't think you can quite achieve that effect with sliders, although I'd be interested to see how that might be done.

There are entire companies devoted to creating filters for photoshop/lightroom. "Clickin Moms" is one, and one that I suspect was used by the people who took this picture. Instead of adjusting a dozen different sliders, it would be nice to click/apply one filter. I don't think I'll ever be a photoshop expert, but learning how to apply some filters could be something I could do.

...I don't think you can quite achieve that effect with sliders, although I'd be interested to see how that might be done.

There are entire companies devoted to creating filters for photoshop/lightroom. "Clickin Moms" is one, and one that I suspect was used by the people who took this picture. Instead of adjusting a dozen different sliders, it would be nice to click/apply one filter. I don't think I'll ever be a photoshop expert, but learning how to apply some filters could be something I could do.
Sure you can... all a filter is, is a series of steps that adjust various aspects of the image in a pre-determined manner. I really don't get the point of filters; no two images are the same, so why would I apply the same processing to them????

I don't think you can quite achieve that effect with sliders, although I'd be interested to see how that might be done.

Those companies simply developed their "filters" by using the sliders to get the effect that they wanted, and then offered those settings for sale as "filters".

If you don't want to do it yourself, buy the ones you want from those vendors.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using filters. I think it's a nice shortcut if you know the look that you're going for and it works well with your photo - why not? Also you can create your own filters so that you don't have to redo the 20 step process with sliders every time you going for certain look. I don't use light room or have any of those presets or use the Nik collection but I do use the Topaz lab filters and it's nice and quick to be able to try to three different filters on the photo to see which one works best.

As for Clickin moms and several of those other groups I think they rely too heavily on contrast in many of their filters. Making a bad photo black-and-white and contrasty doesn't magically make it good, in my opinion. I think that filters are fine but be careful to stay away from the overly trendy looks that are going to make your photos look dated tomorrow.

green skin filter.

You can make it warmer, but it'll make everything warmer, including her, which you don't want. Using Lightroom, was able to isolate the background using brush. The problem is that neither of these look realistic (or good).

The best thing to do would be to do these during golden hour if you want that look.

Using filters just doesn't look good.

Option 1. I fake blurred the background and it looks pretty bad, haha.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.30.51 PM.png

Option 2. Everything is warmer, but again, it just looks weird.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.31.58 PM.png

I'm confused, you bought a $1600 camera and a $1800 lens but you won't take any time to learn how to use editing software?

The only "filters" I've used are my own created presets in LR. I use those just to give me a starting point or ideas of what will work with a particular photo.

Thanks everyone for your input. Here is the original picture I posted before. What do you think of this picture? Do you like the effect applied to it? Can you describe it?
Instagram post by Missy • Oct 1, 2017 at 8:33pm UTC

The filter used here?

Completely different lighting situation so I guess the sun filter was used.
Seriously though. Save your money and learn how to edit. Filters are great for instasnapbook and are really only ever meant for that. As has been stated before. Every image is different and should be processed on it's own. Even before that you need to learn lighting since that is what is really the difference between the two shots.

Most reactions

Back