which fish eye lens is right for me?

finally a few people who take me seriously, thank you for the link village i do like my other sigma lens and that seems to be a very good price on it

are fisheyes overused by the majority of people? yes, iv heard of someone shooting a wedding with one, made me cringe, but that doesnt mean its a gimmick that nobody should use, i cant stand fish eyes on video cameras for the most part as well, same reason, they are over used but then you find that one video that is done right and it is very well done. im not looking to be shooting every day in every situation with this FE, i have a good walking around lens for that already, its for the perspective and angle of view that you can not get with a standard lens

village, scatter-any other fish eyes you think i should look at?

village- nice shot of the VW, were you in a car or van next to it? you must have been pretty close to it to do that with a FE

Car rig.

o ya, village, do you know what the angle of view on that sigma was? i didnt see it on the page, and if its measured horizontally or diagonally? also will that sigma work with the AF on my camera?

edit: found one piece of it "rectangular 180° view in all directions"

namtot- thanks for the link, ill keep it in mind, i would like the f2.8 of the sigma but still need info on both lenses, for instance, do you know if the Rokinin will still work with my cameras AF? or will it be manual focus only? metering? same thing?

The more expensive AF FE lenses will genereally auto focus and are generally rectangular 180 lenses. The cheaper ones are usually only manual focus lenses and will have a full 180 view, which leave the black around your shot and gives you a full circle you have to crop.

Go Canon they have a awesome fish eye though so does Sigma from what I'm told. I can't wait to get my fish eye but I will need to wait a bit as my list now is flash , new 50D or 7D 85/1.8 then 100 2.8L IS then perhaps the fish eye. Congrats

Go Canon they have a awesome fish eye though so does Sigma from what I'm told. I can't wait to get my fish eye but I will need to wait a bit as my list now is flash , new 50D or 7D 85/1.8 then 100 2.8L IS then perhaps the fish eye. Congrats

I have the Canon 15mm f/2.8 FE. That's what I used on the shot in this thread. It's not very fishy on a crop camera though.

problem with the cannon is I dont see any that will mount to my camera..........

slight issue........

but i think I am going to go with the sigma unless anyone can either point me to a better lens or any issues i may have with it

o also i keep seeing this on a lot of the specs for fisheyes and i dont know what it means, can someone help me out?

"Filter Size - Accepts gel filters in rear slot"

and this may be a really dumb question but, is there any way to protect the front of a fish eye? I have a clear filter on my other two lenses just to protect them from damage and was wondering if there is anything i can do to protect a FE?

also, lens cap? not sure how that works with the rounded front element

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back