Which Flash To Purchase For Canon 300D?

PhotoPig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All!

Im looking for a decent flash, middle of the road for my 300D. Will be used mostly for indoor family photos, etc. Im also on a budget, dont want to stray to far away from the $200 (US) range. I was going to purchase the Canon 420 EX, but I read that the FEC was removed from the 300D (whatever FEC is) but the concensus was that the pictures were comming out over/under exposed. Im told that the problem can be corrected by downloading the "wasia hack". I was a little discouraged by this added work, and began to snoop around to find a comparable flash........

What Ive been seeing is people are really happy with (in this order)
1) Sigma 500DG
2) 550/580 EX (out of my $ league)
3) Sunpack PZ 5000 AF
4) 420 EX

Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

Unless things have changed since I purchased a 420EX, you will have some difficulty using the 300D ( or any canon digital slr ) with any flash that does not ~fully~ support E-TTL. Many flash manufacturers claim E-ttl support but some research online yeilds some people running into problems.

Since the 300D doesn't give you FEC you should get a flash that has it, or else you might as well use the onboard flash :p

The 420 EX doesn't have it.

Most reactions

Back