Which FX Lens Focal Length is Equivalent to a 50mm DX Lens Focal Length

Wmcgr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Forum,

I am trying to build up a good collection of prime lenses for DSLR videography (which I already have been doing for over a year, so do not give me trouble for using a DSLR to film with). I already own two DX lenses (a 70-140mm and a 70-300mm) for my D7100 (DX Format) that I use, but I would like to start a dedicated prime lens collection.

My question is, when considering the crop factor involved with using an FX Lens on a DX body, which focal length should I choose if I want an FX prime lens to have an equivalent focal length to that of a 50mm DX lens?

To clarify, I may want to purchase an FX lens with a greater focal length so that it compensates for the DX body's crop factor, thus producing the same image using the two different focal lengths.

Thanks,

Wmcgr

Around 75mm is what you would want on the FX camera.

But since Nikon doesn't make a 75, you'll probably want to look at an 85mm. Not too far off target for what you're looking at, and the 85s are generally very nice primes for the FX cameras. You can get them fast (f:1.8) and VERY fast (f:1.4) just like the 50s.

I had the Nikon 85mm 1.8G, amazing lens but is limited indoors.

If you are using the FX prime lens on a DX body then use the same focal length as the DX lens to get the same field of view.
For any particular focal length the fIeld of view only changes if using a lens on cameras with different sensor sizes.

Most reactions

Back