Which is best option?

kathy65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have I narrowed down to three cameras that I am thinking on buying and would like your opinions on them.

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera

Nikon D3300 Digital SLR DSLR Camera

http://www.thephotoforum.com/javascript:;
Canon EOS Rebel T5 1200D SLR Camera

Of course I would be getting the 50mm f/1.8G AF-S lens also on them.

I am a beginner, I am just doing my family and friends photos for some extra money on the side. I want easier cameras to learn but be able to take professional looking pictures.

Thank you

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Of those I would say definitely the D7000, over the D3300, but I'd try for a later model if possible, perhaps a D7100 or 7200?
I'm a Nikon guy so don't know the Canon.

At this point, try aiming for the D7100.

Of those I would say definitely the D7000, over the D3300, but I'd try for a later model if possible, perhaps a D7100 or 7200?
I'm a Nikon guy so don't know the Canon.

Well I have Canon gear and of the options you have, I would also suggest the D7000. (I would also agree to get the 7100 or 7200 if possible.)

The seller selling the D7000 outfit is selling a GRAY MARKET "aka a direct import" D7000 camera...which Nikon will NOT repair, ever!!! Go to an honest vendor, and buy a Nikon, USA refurbished D7100 , like this Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera Body Black - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A 1513 B

The seller on eBay is also selling a 15 year old 70-300 G lens....the first-version, which is and always was a really cheap model, one I own, and which is pretty substandard. That lens is very cheap, very average, and is worth less that $80. The 18-55 lens is old, and non-VR. That eBay vendor is just a wee bit shady. Listing the rubber eyecup and the eyepiece blocker as part of the deal??? Ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have I narrowed down to three cameras that I am thinking on buying and would like your opinions on them.
The two sellers are ostensibly two different companies, but they are doing business in the same manner. They even use the same tactics, so I suspect that they work in concert, if not the same actual company.

Here is a quote: "* Please Note:
This camera is a direct import model and is 100% identical to the USA model. It is manufactured in the same factories by the same workers. Direct import models do not carry a USA manufacturer warranty."

(edit) Removed line about Nikon repair conditions.

Shady is as shady does. They claim "four lenses", but there are only two of what we would call actual lenses, and the other two things are like putting spectacles on the lens. It sure looks like a lot of stuff, but some is furnished with any factory-new camera, some is stuff you don't need, and some is just junky stuff to increase the item count.

An entry-level Nikon or Canon is a good choice, so I say keep looking for pretty much the same or similar models, but from a more reputable dealer. Stay away from those 100-piece kits. You will probably end up with the 18-55mm lens anyway, and it's pretty good for the money, so budget in for a second lens. If you visit a bricks-and-mortar store in your town, you can talk to the manager about bundling your choice of a second lens with your kit. You can forget about the cheap tripod, a cheap bag, any "filters", and any other stuff that you will end up not using.

The cheap tripod is not worth much, even though I still have mine (I keep it in the bag to grab and go), the bag they offer is way too small to be truly useful, and you don't need any of those cheap filters anyway.

BTW: why not tell us what your most realistic budget is, and we may find some alternative deals?

Last edited:
I would like to be in the area of $500.

Also, the package deals that they have aren't good? I wont need any of that stuff? What about the lenses? I do know I need that lens I mentioned in the original post. I am trying to get what I need with less money for every little thing.

So, stay away from ebay??? Any one have a place that sells cameras that is reputable? I am greek on all of it so any help is appreciated.

MUCH of the stuff in those "package deals" is sheer...filler...customer-bait, if you will. What you will want is the camera body, an 18-55mm "kit zoom" from moderate wide-angle to a very slight telephoto, for the everyday, lightweight, small, carry-able zoom lens. Then, a 55-200 or 55-250 or 70-300mm, lightweight zoom lens for distance work.

The flash they have is uber-cheap...soooo uber-cheap, it's awful. THe screw-in accessory 'lenses' are junky. The 4-piece close-up filter set is worth $9 at my local pawnshop.

The battery and charger COME WITH the body; the vendor actually has the nerve to call the battery a "starter battery", so they can upsell you to a second battery, I would guess.

$500? I would go to Walmart or to BestBuy. Seriously. Walmart has a $529 or $539 Nikon package all the time. And then if there's an issue, you have a real store--AND, they sell Nikon USA warrantied, OFFICIALLY-imported items, which Nikon USA can and will repair.

In the $500 type range for brand-new gear, you will need to buy a 3000-series Nikon or an earlier-generation 5000-series Nikon that is discounted; Nikon has cameras one and two generations back that are selling at heavily discounted price points now that a third-generation model is available. And yeah, I am serious--Walmart or BestBuy. Refurbished items quality-checked by Nikon,USA are often lots cheaper than brand-new stuff. Refurbished items are quality-checked individually by Nikon,and in many cases, it seems like they are simply returned merchandise that cannot be sold as-new by ethical dealers. Today's BUY-AND-TRY-then RETURN culture is responsible for flooding the market with refurbished camera gear, bodies, lenses, flashes. It has become almost epidemic. Refurbish in camera gear is NOT like old, auto-wrecker rebuilt wrecked cars.

Also, the package deals that they have aren't good? I wont need any of that stuff? What about the lenses? I do know I need that lens I mentioned in the original post. I am trying to get what I need with less money for every little thing.

So, stay away from ebay??? Any one have a place that sells cameras that is reputable? I am greek on all of it so any help is appreciated.

Kathy,

You can get some good deals from Ebay but really you need to be careful who you do business with there, a lot of sellers offer these grey market bundle deals and when it's all said and done if your camera ever needs to be repaired you can end up in a world of hurt.

If your on a budget and don't mind purchasing used, I recommend KEH camera:

NIKON D3200 BLACK DIGITAL CAMERA BODY 24.2 M P - KEH Camera

This is a Nikon D3200, used - I've bought stuff from KEH before and even in EX condition it's often hard to tell it from new, they really are tough when it comes to rating them and I've never been disappointed

The above is just for the camera body, so here is a second link for a used kit lens that would normally come with this camera when sold new:

NIKON 18-55MM F 3.5-5.6 G ASPHERICAL AF-S DX VR BLACK AUTOFOCUS LENS FOR APS-C SENSOR DSLRS 52 - KEH Camera

As you can see you can stay well below your budget, and honestly I think your best bet is to start out with just the basic camera body and lens and use it for a bit, and then decide what all you'd like to do for add ons.

Here are two brand new Nikon D3300 camera bundles, which is a great camera. The first one is $499.95 with an 18-55mm vr lens and the second is $649.95 with two lenses, 18-55mm vr, and a 55-200mm vr lens. These can be purchased from Nikon, Adorama camera, and B$H Photo all with no tax or shipping.
Nikon D3300 HDSLR DSLR from Nikon
Nikon D3300 HDSLR DSLR from Nikon

As a "package deal" overall it is not a good deal for the consumer.

You'll end up with the first lens anyway, and the second lens Derrel has pointed out that it is not worth much.

This comes with two bags, by which I am surprised, but check this; I use a "found" bag which is a gym bag that I already owned and it suits my needs perfectly.

Yes, you will need some SD cards, but I don't see the read/write speed on them, so I'm guessing that it isn't one of the better cards.

The IR remote is nice to have, and I use mine whenever I need to be in the photo. I paid $15 for a regular Nikon remote, and I bought a second one (third party) for $3.

Everything on the fourth line you'll get with any new Nikon, as well as the CD.

Mine did not come with a hotshoe cover or a body cap, but I haven't missed them.

I'm going to say that you will probably never use any of the other stuff. As for lens cleaning, I do that about whenever I notice a bunch of crud on the front element. I usually check the rear surface whenever I change lenses. I use a microfiber cloth with a couple of drops of regular lens cleaning stuff. (I wear glasses, so I always have it.)

A cheap tripod is something you will want to upgrade. I now own three tripods; the cheapie that I keep mainly because it fits inside my gadget bag, an intermediate one that is fairly good, and one very sturdy one.

I will recommend that you (anybody) keep all cheap optics off of your lenses. That means all the items shown that are intended to fit onto a lens. If and when you decide you need some kind of filter (such as a quality circular polarizer, for instance) then you can save up for it and you will know what you need and for what purpose.

When I bought my camera, I did some price shopping, and found a sale at Best Buy online.

If you're not afraid of buying a used camera, check Adorama, B&H, and KEH online for used equipment.

I've purchased some "open box" items, and am quite pleased because what I received looked absolutely brand new but it was priced at a discount.

Nikon will indeed repair 'gray market' Nikon gear.
Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner, regardless where the camera was first sold.

"Gray Market" means the item does not have a Nikon USA serial number.
Nikon USA Service won't repair (warranty or paid for) Nikon gear that does not have a US serial number (gray market).

Nikon will repair Nikon DSLRs and other Nikon gear that were originally sold as 'gray market'. You would just need to determine where to send whatever you need repaired.

Nikon authorized camera repair shops here in the US will repair gear that does not have a US serial number.

Thanks Keith, for setting me straight. I deleted that line in post #6.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back