Which is best VALUE?

amazing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know you guys get tired of this but I am on a budget and on the verge of buying a DSLR. I am wondering which is the best value? Canon XS, $600 plus tax includes: 2gb memory card, 18-55mm lens, 75-200 mm lens, awesome camera bag

OR
Canon T1i with 18-55mm lens $768 plus tax

OR
Nikon D3000 $476 plus tax with 18-55mm lens

Thanks! All advice is certainly appreciated.

amazing

Beat JimmyO this time! :lmao:

What are you talking about?

Based on my VERY limited knowledge of Digital SLRs and based soley on the money factor my best guess would be the Canon XS if you like the Canon and you are getting good lenses. From what I've read Canon lenses are interchangable so if you outgrow the XS for any reason you have the lenses for an upgraded body. For less money you will get 2 lenses which will give you more flexibility.

I haven't researched the XS but have looked a little on-line for the T1i and it got good reviews (the T2i apparently is replacing it).

the t1i does offer video capability if that affects your decision at all. (I've heard that many people don't use it though)

I think the d3000 and the canon XS are comparable in features. Although the d3000 does have some modes that help owners that are new to DSLRs (something like understanding apertures / DOF's better)

I would go with the XS or maybe the t1i, but it's always good to invest more money on the lenses, since you can keep on using them even after you buy a new body.

But then this is coming from a long-time Canon user, so I'm a bit biased.

Go with the t1i

Based on my VERY limited knowledge of Digital SLRs and based soley on the money factor my best guess would be the Canon XS if you like the Canon and you are getting good lenses. From what I've read Canon lenses are interchangable so if you outgrow the XS for any reason you have the lenses for an upgraded body. For less money you will get 2 lenses which will give you more flexibility.

I haven't researched the XS but have looked a little on-line for the T1i and it got good reviews (the T2i apparently is replacing it).
Unfortunately, not all of Canon's lenses can be used on higher level Canon cameras. The EF-S lenses, designed for the APS-C sensor Canon cameras, cannot be used on higher level EF-only (full frame and APS-H) Canon cameras so be careful about upgrades. You may want to note you can use both EF-S & EF lenses on the lower level Canons.

Unfortunately, not all of Canon's lenses can be used on higher level Canon cameras. The EF-S lenses, designed for the APS-C sensor Canon cameras, cannot be used on higher level EF-only (full frame and APS-H) Canon cameras so be careful about upgrades. You may want to note you can use both EF-S & EF lenses on the lower level Canons.

I'm glad you corrected me on this.

KmH is right.. However, you should think about if you'd eventually upgrade to a full frame camera. (I think the only one Canon is selling is the 5d mark, correct me if i'm wrong) But even the xxD's can use EF-S lenses. Though personally I try to buy all EF lens (especially because my 10D is not compatible with the EF-S)

I know you guys get tired of this but I am on a budget and on the verge of buying a DSLR. I am wondering which is the best value? Canon XS, $600 plus tax includes: 2gb memory card, 18-55mm lens, 75-200 mm lens, awesome camera bag

OR
Canon T1i with 18-55mm lens $768 plus tax

OR
Nikon D3000 $476 plus tax with 18-55mm lens

Thanks! All advice is certainly appreciated.

probably the Nikon. it's $300 cheaper. put the difference towards a second lens/strobe/tripod/filter or whatever. the freebie 2GB card wouldn't make much difference. likewise, a bag (Prada?). the Great Pyramid of Giza is awesome...bags are mostly just bags.

i'd probably say the D3000 if you can get the kit with the 55-200VR + bag.

a bunch of places can do a D300 w/ 18-55 + 55-200VR+bag for about $650.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back