Which is better

supporther

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Buying my wife her first SLR. Can anyone suggest which one I should get and why, the Nikon D60 or Nikon 5000DX?

No one with any sense would recommend one over the other without a lot more information about your wife's needs and preferences. All a sensible responder could do would be to point out differences and their values.

Pro D60:
1. The D60 is smaller and lighter.
2. The D60 is less expensive

Neutral:
1. They are bundled with the same kit lens
2. General VF type (porro-mirror)
3. Overall build quality is in the same class

Pro D5000:
1. Newer & better CMOS sensor (similar or identical to D90 & D300) compared to the D60's still rather good CCD (matches D80 & D200)
2. Live view (view image on rear LCD before taking the picture)
3. Rear LCD swivels and tilts (makes Live View practical to use in more situations)
4. True video capability.

For my personal tastes and use, the D5000 would be the clear winner. This wouldn't be the case for everyone.

Thank you Dwig,

Her uses are only hobby taking pics. of family everyday life. How important is the live veiw?

Thank you Dwig,

Her uses are only hobby taking pics. of family everyday life. How important is the live veiw?
That's a question you would have to answer.

For me, Live View gets very little use. The few times I have used it, it's been quite useful.

It also seems that 3 of the benefits towards the D5000 that Dwig listed were the video, swivel lcd, and live view...not really important points you should consider when buying a digital slr, unless she is planning on doing video with it. I would say D60.

I thank all of you for your time and advice!:mrgreen:

I would say D60 mainly for one reason: The D5000 still does not have an Auto-focus motor build into the body...which to me, puts it in the same class as the D60. Although the CMOS sensor would be nice, it's not a big enough difference to the D60 for me to justify the extra money. I would rather get a D60 and a better lens...that is unless you think you'll use the liveview function, which I have no interest int.

Some may find a use for Live View and video mode but I find it practically useless, especially when focusing is much much faster when viewing through the view finder.
Video mode isn't quite perfected yet. As you pan quickly, you'll experience jelly (or lag) like distortion. If you want live view, opt for a point & shoot. If you want video, get a Flip Camera or better - Webbie HD Camera MHS-PM1

The only thing I'd enjoy from the Canon is the more conveniently placed features, auto ISO and sensor cleaning.

Other than that, if money is tight get the D60.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back