Which is better

DesmondKenway

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys. Which camera is better for animal photography? Canon or Nikon? And what model? Thank you so much. :)

Pretty much any camera nowadays. If you want an advice from us, you should state few things first:
- your experience with photography so far
- budget
- requirements (features like wifi, articulating screen etc.)
- brand preferences
- existing gear

And forget about finding "the best camera", there's no such thing.

Absolutely - no such thing as a 'best' camera. You will find cameras that suit you better and others that don't. I cannot use my niece's Canon as my fingers are too big - but I have no problem with my Canon.

I find my Canon 80D excellent - big enough but not too heavy. I expect Nikon do a very similar camera.

They are all the same. The issue in animal photography is long lenses, not cameras.

Hi guys. Which camera is better for animal photography? Canon or Nikon? And what model? Thank you so much. :)

Welcome to the forum.

And way to start a fight with your first post. :aiwebs_016: :allteeth:

Nikon - Canon is like Chevy - Ford, Mercedes - BMW, Ferrari - Porsche fights. Everyone has their favorites.

Lately though Nikon has been bringing out better sensors per pricing level than Canon (cameras at same price point). Especially when comparing the sensors at low ISO settings. As for lenses I believe they are about even.

As for animals if you mean wildlife, a D500 is proabably the best camera out at the momment. It's a crop sensor camera with a very good AF system (crop sensor means smaller sensor). Next would be Nikon D7500 / D7200. The equavilant in Canon price wise would be the 7DmkII at about same price as the Nikon D500, and the 80D at about the same price as a D7500.

There are other better more expensive cameras that are full frame. But many like to use crop sensors for wildlife.

They are all the same. The issue in animal photography is long lenses, not cameras.
depends on the type of animal actually

If you paid me to go on Safari and I got to choose the camera and system. I would likely go with an Olympus EM1 II with the 300mm f/4 and the 1.4x converter.
I would take the minimal sacrifice in quality for the portability.

Both Nikon and Canon make excellent cameras
But best camera maker in the world is Nikon!

........................................actually this isn't the truth I just said that because I'm a Nikon fanboy ;)

Whichever one feels "right" in your hands.

YOU will the determining factor on image quality. You can't just buy a concert grand piano and expect to play beautiful music if you didn't study and practice piano. The same is true of photography... the camera is just the instrument.

But you didn't mention what type of animal photography.

Are these domesticated animals such as farm livestock or pets such as cats & dogs?

Or are these wild animals that are a bit more difficult to control, possibly shy and may run off it they notice you getting too close, or may possibly eat you if you get too close?

For the former category, normal focal length lenses ... or lenses with moderate telephoto (the same lenses you might use for portrait photography) would be great choices.

For the latter category, very long lenses that let you photograph from a distance would be great choices.

The point I'm making is that the choice is less about what "camera" brand or model you should select and more about what "lens" focal length choices you should select.

BTW, for the latter category its nice to have a more advanced focus system... but everybody makes one of those as well... so it's not a determining factor in camera brands. I bring it up because the least-expensive entry models may not have those advanced focus systems that you might appreciate having if you were doing wildlife action photography.

Nikon D500 with Nikon 200-500mm lens is what I use.
IMG_8736.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both great bodies, I have shot wildlife with each system over the years and like a few other people mentioned it's better to look at the lens for your needs and go with whatever body feels better to you. I attached a few pictures, 2 were shot with a Canon system and 2 with Nikon....Both camera systems are excellent.

1.jpg15.jpg 22.jpg 305.jpg

Nikon - Canon is like Chevy - Ford, Mercedes - BMW, Ferrari - Porsche fights. Everyone has their favorites.

Lately though Nikon has been bringing out better sensors per pricing level than Canon (cameras at same price point). Especially when comparing the sensors at low ISO settings. As for lenses I believe they are about even.

Yeah, Nikons are like Chevys that have newer whistles and bells, and Canons are like Fords they don't have many new features but their a work horse!! lol

Most reactions

Back