Which IS mode?

Chode

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am geting Canon S3 IS camera next week, and I've been reading a lot about it.

So, the question is:

Which IS mode is better: Continous or Shoot only?

Continous works all the time, and Shoot only is only when shutter pressed half way.

Will camera's IS mechanism sooner wear out (malfunction) if it is on Continous? I want it to work properly as long as possible, don't want to be broken after few months... :)

Tnx. :)

I am geting Canon S3 IS camera next week, and I've been reading a lot about it.

So, the question is:

Which IS mode is better: Continous or Shoot only?

Continous works all the time, and Shoot only is only when shutter pressed half way.

Will camera's IS mechanism sooner wear out (malfunction) if it is on Continous? I want it to work properly as long as possible, don't want to be broken after few months... :)

Tnx. :)

Don't think it'll wear out :) Do you think a company like Canon would allow a product to go on sale with this!! No nor me!

The S3 IS has three image stabilization settings. The continuous mode has the IS system running at all times, so the image will be stable when you're framing the shot. Shooting only mode doesn't turn on the IS system until the photo is actually taken, and this results in better stabilization than in continuous mode. The panning mode only stabilizes up and down motion, so you can use it while panning the camera from side to side, like when you're following a moving subject. You can also turn the IS system off entirely, which you may want to do if you have the camera on a tripod.

I never pan camera, so Paning mode is pretty much useless to me. Also I will never shut it off, even on a tripod.

And you think it won't wear out in continous mode? Cool! :D

Than I'll use Cntinous mode than. :) They say it works slightly better, in terms of shapness of the image (comparing to Shoot only mode)... :)

Tnx.

I never pan camera, so Paning mode is pretty much useless to me. Also I will never shut it off, even on a tripod.

And you think it won't wear out in continous mode? Cool! :D

Than I'll use Cntinous mode than. :) They say it works slightly better, in terms of shapness of the image (comparing to Shoot only mode)... :)

Tnx.

some ISs go for a random walk in space if they are used on a sturdy tripod with almost no vibration ... so your images can in those cases be less sharp than if you had shut IS off. ... Not sure about the S3 in that respect though.

IS off on tri-pod.

IS off in bright day light.

IS Continuous will hoover up your battery. Use IS when shooting.

oh yes, i forgot the battery life! :) the Shutter Only mode it is! :)

But on a bright day I still have to use IS when zooming to... say 12x!

And for tripod - really? Then I'll surely shut it off! :)

Any other useful advice like those? TNX guys! :)

But on a bright day I still have to use IS when zooming to... say 12x!

in most cases ... probably ... also on a bright day when you shoot in your basement :greenpbl:

:lol: of course... :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back