Which is stronger? Strap hooks or tripod socket?

I found this, but I think it's a little flawed.

tripodsockettest.jpg

The size of the bracket is big enough that it's also pressing against the bottom of the camera thus, distributing the weight a little bit more than just a 1/4" screw. Also, that is a older Nikon film body, so who knows how the tripod mount is designed.

I think its just a coincidence that there happen to be pictures of this failure on Nikons, but I've also read and heard stories of it happening on Canon and other brands. Not just a Nikon problem. But again, this is VERY rare. But one thing you never hear of is the strap lugs failing.

I found this, but I think it's a little flawed.

View attachment 102042

The size of the bracket is big enough that it's also pressing against the bottom of the camera thus, distributing the weight a little bit more than just a 1/4" screw. Also, that is a older Nikon film body, so who knows how the tripod mount is designed.

I think its just a coincidence that there happen to be pictures of this failure on Nikons, but I've also read and heard stories of it happening on Canon and other brands. Not just a Nikon problem. But again, this is VERY rare. But one thing you never hear of is the strap lugs failing.
That photo is hilarious.

I've heard plenty of stories of strap failures on the Canon board, but I've never seen an image or report of the tripod socket pulling out of a Canon.

Of course, if it worries you there are alternatives. For example:

Of course it bears reminding that the strap lugs are also just pieces of metal screwed into the body. . . . .

That is true, but you are distributing the weight on two points versus just one point. I was reading an article from BosStrap and they tested the post style and it took 125lbs of force to pull out just one, that's quite a bit of force. If they tested two at the same time, I'm sure it'd be over 200lbs of force to pull them out. But I don't know, not an engineer.

They didn't test Canon's strap mount for some reason, but I'm sure Canon's style of lug mount is far more stronger than Nikon's.

You can read it here Where to Attach - Camera Strap Lug or Tripod Socket BosStrapBosStrap

Most reactions

Back