which is the best dslr?

niceguyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi all..im a beginner in photography...im about to purchase my 1st dslr camera...but im confused which is the best camera for a beginner like..im keen into landscape and animal photography....im currently considering canon 500d,nikon 5000d and the sony nex 5....so which is the best performance camera that really suits me...any recommendations and advice will be most appreciated ...tq alll...:)

They are all going to have pros and cons, you will find just as many people are for each as there are that despise each. Just search some reviews on google and make your decision. I would steer clear of the Sony personally though. As for the type of photography you like, thats mainly going to be a lens decision, since all of those cameras are fairly capable, and the aperture,angle of view and focal length are going to be what mainly applies to specific types of photography.

Theres no guesswork, Real men buy Canon.
Sorry...couldnt resist.:lol:
You just started a thread that will not give you any true answers. Research it.

you have to research it and look at reviews and decide what one will suit you best

Good glass matters more than you camera body. Pick a brand, get your entry level body, with a kit lens. You'll soon want more lenses. If you buy good glass, you will have it for a long time, an you'll be set when you decide you want a better body.

so meaning to say is either canon 500d or nikon 5000d not at all the sony nex 5 ??

Good glass matters more than you camera body. Pick a brand, get your entry level body, with a kit lens. You'll soon want more lenses. If you buy good glass, you will have it for a long time, an you'll be set when you decide you want a better body.

hi thanks for the reply...but im confused..what is good glass...if its u ..what brand u would pick ...?? tq :)

hi thanks for the reply...but im confused..what is good glass...if its u ..what brand u would pick ...?? tq :)

Personally if I were you I would pick the flash that fit my hands and personal preference the best.

Leica(sarcasm)

Pick one that you can afford and comfortable to use. Most people go with a Nikon or Canon. Make sure its comfortable to use. Its really just a preference thing.

Nikon D300s or Nikon D700. Very fine cameras, excellent and logical controls, good focusing systems, proven sub-systems. The best d-slr is the one you can afford,and which you carry with you. The camera body is the film and the focusing and exposure system.

hi all..im a beginner in photography...im about to purchase my 1st dslr camera...but im confused which is the best camera for a beginner like..im keen into landscape and animal photography....im currently considering canon 500d,nikon 5000d and the sony nex 5....so which is the best performance camera that really suits me...any recommendations and advice will be most appreciated ...tq alll...:)

well since you wan't us to do research and stuff for you, i will gladly answer your question...

Camera:
Nikon D3x SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) 25442 - B&H Photo

Good All-around lens:
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens 2185 - B&H Photo

Flash:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/653428-REG/Quantum_Instruments_Qflash_TRIO_QF8N_TTL.html

Good Tripod:
Gitzo Ser.3 6X + Head Video Kit GK3500SV - B&H Photo Video

CF card:
SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Card SDCFXP-064G-A91 - B&H

And lastly a good case:
Linhof Aluminum Case 022457 - B&H Photo Video

do the research yourself, and ask questions if Google, Bing, Yahoo, or YouTube couldn't.

Well, I went with Canon.
Nikon, Canon war aside...each have features and benefits that you need to choose which is important to you. Each have drawbacks as well. I went with Canon, and I have been happy. If i went Nikon, I'd be just as happy. :p

As far as good glass (good lenses)...You will see as you get more into the hobby, that kit lenses on either brand tend to be soft (not tac sharp focus), may be slow to focus, have small maximum apertures (slow lenses), suffer from chromatic abberation (color halos on edges), and distortion. Many beginners blame this stuff on the camera body. But once you buy a better lens, you will see the difference. Lenses last a very long time and are worth the price/quality. So when you go to upgrade your body, you won't need to buy new lenses.

Beware of the Brand Fanbois who will only paint "their" brand in a positive light.

I went canon as well. The layout of the buttons made more sense to me. I have an xsi and was debating between it and the nikon d5000.

You really should listen to everyone here and do some research on your own though. Go to photography sites and just look up reviews. Don't rush your decision :)

The best camera is the one you have with you, so if you're not carrying it, it's no good to you.

Find a store where you can go in and hold the camera in your hands and see what fits your hands, how it feels against your face when you're shooting, and how heavy it is (weight ends up being a shock to some when they first pick up a DSLR, and glass only makes them heavier).

Start with Nikon and Canon, then branch out to other brands and decide what makes you happiest, and what you can get the most use out of. When you make a purchase, also consider some other things, such as a few extra memory cards, an extra battery, flash, a memory card reader, and a case (a good case).

As a side note, don't ask questions that you can answer with Google. Read your manual, and buy a guide book for your camera, and buy a book that's as basic digital photography guide (NatGeo makes a great one or six).

Welcome, and happy shooting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back