Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

• Canon 300mm 2.8L IS

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Canon 200mm f/2L IS

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Canon 35mm 1.4L

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Gary...

Don't you think the Canon 200mm f/2 would probably be better corrected?

I have no idea really, I am just guessing it would be since its like 20 years newer.

This is the first I am hearing of the 200mm 1.8.

From the quick research I just did, it seems to be a legendary lens. :thumbup:

Edit: Ya I read the review on the digital picture.

I used one about 5 years ago when i had a 300F4L and it was fantastic but i love my 300F2.8L

My 300mmF2.8L :D

I wish that I owned that lens lol.

Want to trade me for my 85mm 1.2?

Never been dropped, only been used for a week.

You know you want to.....

No thank's, this is it fitted with a kenko 2x
188042218_XuHN3-L.jpg

I am home now.

WOW thats a nice shot! :thumbup:

That is truly an outstanding lens, very very sharp.

You cant honestly say the Nikon 70-300 is a better lens than the ones I listed.

Edit: I realize you mean for the money.
Without a doubt, Nikon's best zoom lens value.

The optically best lens value period, is the AF 50 mm f/1.8D

I thought it would be fun to vote on which lens is the most optically outstanding of the Nikon/Canon lenses.

I am only including a limited range 24-300mm, and current production lenses that I feel are contenders. I apoligize if I left out any lenses you felt should have be included.

The contenders:

Canon 300mm 2.8L IS
Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 200mm f/2L IS
Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR
Canon 35mm 1.4L
Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

Edit: Feel free to tell us which Canon/Nikon lens you feel is best, even if it isn't on the list. Mostly I just want to discuss these 2 companies’ finest lenses, and their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the best lens in terms of quality I have used so far would be a tie and there both Canon lenses. The 85 F/1.2 and the 135 F/2 Both are incredible lenses in every way. I hope to get my own 135 within 6 months or so after I get another body and a couple cheaper lenses I want. I sure hope so.

I will add this also Canon's 85 F/1.8 should be on the list in many ways. The lens produces shots that come real close in many ways to the 1.2 version and being 1.8 is not much slower. I believe should definitely be in every Canon shooters bag. Plus that 375.00 price tag compared to the 1,950.00 tag of the 1.2 is real tough to ignore. So needless to say its one of the lenses I will be adding to my bag real soon.

I agree with Idahophoto

I think my go to lens(from a portraiture standpoint): 135L f/2 (Super sharp and super fast auto focus-my pick if I have room to shoot with this focal length) My overall favorite. I think this is the sleeper lens for all the portraiture lenses in the EOS line....super underated and non-commercialized.

I thought it would be fun to vote on which lens is the most optically outstanding of the Nikon/Canon lenses.

I am only including a limited range 24-300mm, and current production lenses that I feel are contenders. I apoligize if I left out any lenses you felt should have be included.

The contenders:

Canon 300mm 2.8L IS
Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 200mm f/2L IS
Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR
Canon 35mm 1.4L
Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

Edit: Feel free to tell us which Canon/Nikon lens you feel is best, even if it isn't on the list. Mostly I just want to discuss these 2 companies’ finest lenses, and their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the best lens in terms of quality I have used so far would be a tie and there both Canon lenses. The 85 F/1.2 and the 135 F/2 Both are incredible lenses in every way. I hope to get my own 135 within 6 months or so after I get another body and a couple cheaper lenses I want. I sure hope so.

I will add this also Canon's 85 F/1.8 should be on the list in many ways. The lens produces shots that come real close in many ways to the 1.2 version and being 1.8 is not much slower. I believe should definitely be in every Canon shooters bag. Plus that 375.00 price tag compared to the 1,950.00 tag of the 1.2 is real tough to ignore. So needless to say its one of the lenses I will be adding to my bag real soon.

I own the 85 1.2. Although I like it overall, its got some problems.

Check out my 85mm 1.2 impressions thread in the equipment section if you want to know more about it.

Gary...

Don't you think the Canon 200mm f/2 would probably be better corrected?

I have no idea really, I am just guessing it would be since its like 20 years newer.

This is the first I am hearing of the 200mm 1.8.

From the quick research I just did, it seems to be a legendary lens. :thumbup:

Edit: Ya I read the review on the digital picture.

I used one about 5 years ago when i had a 300F4L and it was fantastic but i love my 300F2.8L

If I don't upgrade to the 1Ds I'm selling my 200 2.8L and getting what's next on my wishlist the 200 f/2....my dream lens. Man I've been drooling on this baby for sometime now. It's too bad you don't see many of the used 1.8 versions being sold out there and we can't blame them since they're such keepers.

I agree with Idahophoto

I think my go to lens(from a portraiture standpoint): 135L f/2 (Super sharp and super fast auto focus-my pick if I have room to shoot with this focal length) My overall favorite. I think this is the sleeper lens for all the portraiture lenses in the EOS line....super underated and non-commercialized.

Ya it is true that you don't hear that much about it.

All the reviews I have read say its outstanding.

I kinda want one lol.

Hard to drop the money when I already own a 70-200mm 2.8.

OK guys its over....

Schewtty's 18-55 IS L is clearly the winner here. :thumbup:

Tough luck to all the losing lenses. :(

I agree with Idahophoto

Ya it is true that you don't hear that much about it.

All the reviews I have read say its outstanding.

I kinda want one lol.

Hard to drop the money when I already own a 70-200mm 2.8.

70-200 2.8 is a good lens, it's what I use for ceremonies where the priest/pastor doesn't want photographers up all in their business. It gives a little bit more padding distance wise. It's got a great bokeh @ 200 wide open.

The 135L , never skips a beat, it's super sharp and really fast. Makes the job alot easier. I mainly use it for work for ceremonies that are lenient when it comes to me being in their face. For outdoor portraiture it's heaven to use.

Before you drop an investment, I know the reviews are great for the 135L but it's really a specific lens meant for a certain style. I would rent it first before purchasing b/c I know alot of people who found it limiting shooting at 135mm fixed.

From the canon line of lenses I've owned...

135mm f/2L
85mm f/1.8

From a pure optical standpoint, I can't see a zoom being in that list.

Check out my 85mm 1.2 impressions thread in the equipment section if you want to know more about it.

I checked out your review and thoughts about it. I never had that problem then again I didn't get the chance to fully test it out. I never owned one lol. That would put a damper on it, though if I had the cash I might still grab one. There is no way I can get one anytime soon though so I'll just make do with the 1.8 version for now and maybe round off my lenses with a Canon 100 F/2.8 Macro. If I manage to get the money for the 1.2 version any time soon, I would probably be walking away with a new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS instead it's my current dream lens, But damn the Bokah is nice!

I checked out your review and thoughts about it. I never had that problem then again I didn't get the chance to fully test it out. I never owned one lol. That would put a damper on it, though if I had the cash I might still grab one. There is no way I can get one anytime soon though so I'll just make do with the 1.8 version for now and maybe round off my lenses with a Canon 100 F/2.8 Macro. If I manage to get the money for the 1.2 version any time soon, I would probably be walking away with a new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS instead it's my current dream lens, But damn the Bokah is nice!

Ya the bokeh of the lens is so outstanding.

About the CA issue, its more of an annoyance than anything. All it really prevents you from doing is shooting wide open in certian situations. You can always stop down. :thumbup:

Here are 2 pics I just shot about 10min ago with it. I am about to post them in the "A load of bokeh" thread as well.

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

Ya I would take the 70-200mm 2.8 in a hearbeat over the 85 1.2 if I had neither.

Having both is really nice tho....

Most reactions

Back