Which kit lens should i get with a nikon D5200?

Roo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was originally looking at a D5100 but have since decided to go ahead and get the 5200, and I don't really hear too much about it? Is there something wrong with it, or is it the price jump from the 5100 that stops people from buying it?

But my real question is which kit lens i should get with it, if any? Or what lens or lenses should I get if I opt for body only?

I would be using it primarily for shots of friends/family, offroading trips, other various travel, and pets that require low light to get any action shots. Nothing i would be too far away from. The video I have seen from it in reviews is pretty nice as well.

I have 3 of the popular kit lenses. 18-55, 55-200 and 18-105 (all AF-S VR). I just got the 18-105 and am finding it very versatile. With the other 2, I was always wishing I could either zoom in more or zoom out less. There is nothing wrong with any of the 3 options but if you go with the kit that has just the 18-55, I think you will quickly find the need for another longer lens. I don't see myself picking up the 18-55 again anytime soon. I bought the 18-105 online from adorama, refurbished for $200. It arrived in mint condition - I would have never known it was not brand new. The bundle price when getting it as a kit lens is $300 above the body price and buying it new as a stand alone purchase is $400.

Re the D5200 - When I decided to upgrade from my old D60, I spent a few weeks researching and reading to decide between the d5200 or the d7000. When I finally decided on the D5200, I was reading some comparisons D5100 to D5200 and there didn't seem to be any differences that were significant (to me and my requirements). I decided to save myself $500 by buying a refurbished D5100 ($400 w/ a 1 year warranty from cameta) instead. Waiting for it to arrive now. Going to spend the $500 on other needed photo gear. Just a thought...

I know all the choices are very overwhelming. I hope this helps.

Aside from those recommended by SquarePeg, a prime lens such as the 35mm or 50mm is highly recommended. But honestly the 18-55mm is an inexpensive but versatile lens.

decided to go ahead and get the 5200, and I don't really hear too much about it? Is there something wrong with it, or is it the price jump from the 5100 that stops people from buying it?

If you haven't heard much about it, it must be because you haven't looked. It's been getting very good reviews, and Popular Photography magazine just did a full review of it in their latest issue (May 2013, pg. 71).

which kit lens i should get with it, if any? Or what lens or lenses should I get if I opt for body only?

You can usually never go wrong with the 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lens combo if you're just starting out. Not all, but most users will find themselves satisfied with that combo. I used to own both of those lenses and used the 55-200 far more than the 18-55, but that's just me. If you opt for the body only, you can get the 18-200mm VR and save yourself from having to switch lenses very often. If you wanted longer reach, say for wildlife or outdoor sports, you could get the 18-55 VR and the 70-300 VR, which would also be a great combo.

I would be using it primarily for shots of friends/family, offroading trips, other various travel, and pets that require low light to get any action shots. Nothing i would be too far away from.

For the uses you describe here, I'd go with the 18-105mm VR which covers 90% of your travel shots and throw in the 35mm f/1.8G to cover the low light stuff. You don't really need something that goes out to 200mm if you're always going to be close to the action.

I have used the 18-55, 18-105, and 55-200 quite a bit. The 18-105 comes standard with the d7000-7100 and the 18-55 is standard one all the lower models. The 18-55 (1:3) will focus closer than the 18-105 (1:5) but the 18-105 has better range. IQ for both lenses is about the same. I really like the combo of an 18-55/55-200.

So i know i will be getting more lenses once I figure out how to get decent results from the camera with whatever lens i go for first, but with the purchase of the camera I was leaning towards the 18-55. And then I was going to get something bigger with in about a month. I dont really plan on taking it on any trips between that time, just using it for my sugar gliders and figuring out how to get the results i want out of it. I just hope i dont get too frustrated with it before then haha

EDIT: Thanks for all the help by the way! Shouldve said that first but better late than never, I really appreciate your time :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back